🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I am making a subscription based asset store of 3D models. Would like some feedbacks from developers and designers

Started by
8 comments, last by Geri 1 year, 2 months ago

Hello, as the title suggests I am making a website where people can download 3D Game assets on a subscription basis. For a long time, I had to pay for a lot of 3D assets at random prices so decided to make a website where you can download any models you want on a subscription basis. And you get to request any model that doesn't exist. Also was thinking to add a feature where certain extra features like embedded code, effects, sounds, etc are added to it. Wanted to know if this is a good idea or if you guys would pay for such a service.

Advertisement

Lingo9748 said:
I had to pay for a lot of 3D assets at random prices so decided to make a website where you can download any models you want on a subscription basis.

Lingo9748 said:
if you guys would pay for such a service.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

No, I would not pay.

Subscription services need to have a reason for being subscription.

The only reason I can see as to why this would be subscription is so you can make the most money.

Doesn't sound like there is any real service your providing.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

@fleabay The cost will be far cheaper, you buy points for subscriptions, which stay there forever even after the subscription ends. You can download as many as models you want.

@GeneralJist I know people frown upon predatory subscription plans but ours is a quite different approach. Besides getting models for cheap and free cloud storage for storing them (The points never expire, so you can keep them forever even if you cancel your subscription), I am also adding a “Custom Asset” request feature so people can request any model that doesn't exist in the database, in the same subscription plan (You get X amount of Creation Points to request custom model request, provided you give reference images and videos). Plus there will be some more software benefits that are yet to be finalized.

Enthusiasm is good. The amount of ideas I've had is pretty vast. Your big issues is that you are on those type of websites to buy a readily available model. The request feature doesn't really work and you don't know how long you have to wait for it and if it will be executed to your liking. There are so many content creators on turbosquid and cgtrader and it's nice because there is a lot of junk and some good stuff. Lots of specialized artists selling stuff vs what you are doing is tough. Most games need specific assets built from the ground up.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

Not a bad idea, but the reason i have developed an automatic 2d image to 3d model converter in my engine is to never have to deal with searching for 3d models ever again.

Geri said:

…i have developed an automatic 2d image to 3d model converter in my engine…

I've seen it. Not impressed at all. Nightmare fuel.

Pointless bump BTW.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement