🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Advertising on the net

Started by
0 comments, last by cliffski 22 years, 6 months ago
I am considering buying some of the search keyword placements on Tucows just to see if it makes any difference and I was wondering if anybody here had experience of buying banner ad spaces or any other form of internet marketing and whether it boosted your games downloads or not? I dont want to throw money away, but it seems like quite a well targeted marketing tool to me and I want as many downlaods as possible! Thanks team http://www.positech.co.uk
Advertisement
Generally, places like TUCOWS are so expensive that advertising by smaller companies is a waste of money. Sure, a lot of people see the banner ad, but it''s not necessarily the people you *want* to have see the banner. A lot like TV advertising. It''s too broad.

Advertising only really works if you can target exactly the people who are most likely to want what you''re advertising.

What you need to find is a web page that represents exactly the demographic you think will be most receptive to your ad. The better your targeting, the more effective your ad. On web pages, of course, that translates to better click-thru ratios. Even then, you have to realize that not all click-thrus result in people actually downloading the game.

Also, advertising really does require an extended "campaign". A single ad, or a short-lived run on TUCOWS, isn''t likely to be very successful. You have to keep it up over a period of time so that it''s actually noticed. This just underscores the need for targeting, though, so that the money you spend to keep the campaign going doesn''t turn into a free-flowing hemorhage of cash.

DavidRM
Samu Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement