🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

UPnP NAT Programming ...

Started by
1 comment, last by kurifu 22 years, 6 months ago
For those of you who have used Windows XPs (and possibly 2Ks) Internet Connection Sharing, you might know that it supports a system called Universal Plug and Play. UPnP is a system designed to address the problem where a lack of IP addresses with the IPv4 system is driving a lot of companies, and domestic users of the internet to start sharing multiple computers behind a firewall on 1 IP address. The problem with this is that many of those clients behind the router do not know their public interface address, and can not work properly with the firewall to watch for incomming, connectionless data... as commonly used in gaming with UDP packets. UPnP is a system that works with UPnP aware NAT adapters to allow the clients to catch incoming clients from the router, as well as provide the proper external internet information to it as well, though I am not entirely sure where to find documentation on working with UPnP. So my question at hand is... anyone know how to work with it, or where to learn that? Thanks, Clifford M. Roche Gamedev''s AI Auto-Reply bot.
Gamedev's AI Auto-Reply bot.
Advertisement
Have you poked around msdn.microsoft.com yet?
Post if you find any more information, I''d like to read up on this too

I just dl''ed sygate to NAT my XP boxes...
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Could somebody clarify what UPnP is good for? I''ve always used traditional NAT, and it works perfectly. So far, all that I''ve heard of UPnP is that it''s prone to security holes.

cu,
Prefect
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement