🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A question of copyright

Started by
3 comments, last by Anonymouse Poster 22 years, 5 months ago
I''m working on a GCS kit program, first of all. I''m designing it so it can use the old ZZT game files. However, if I release this program, would there be a copyright violation because I am allowing users to save and load ZZT games? (ZZT''s been active for 10 years, and is public domain now, btw.) Thanks in advance, Ed Ropple
Sqeek.
Advertisement
How many people here know what ZZT game files are ?

I would help but I have No .... idea what you are asking about.
File formats can only be patented, not copywritten. I highly doubt ZZT format is patented.
If you are sure it is public domain then there should not be any problem. If you just think it is because it is old then you should do some more checking first. Who owns/owned the format? Track down their web site and check out the current status or send them a mail to ask.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
ZZT was written by Tim Sweeney of Unreal fame (Epic).

I don''t know if it is technically public domain now, but he does make the binary free for download. He said he''d release the source but it was lost many years ago.

In most cases, file formats aren''t copywritten. As long as you don''t include the original ZZT levels or code with your game you should be clear to use the format they are stored in.

My guess is, he''d have no problem with you making your game ZZT compatible. You might want to try emailing him or, if you can''t find his email, someone else at Epic, and ask for permission just to be sure.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement