🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

DirectPlay protocol

Started by
2 comments, last by muruve 22 years, 6 months ago
Hi, does anyone know if there is a documentation of the protocol used by DirectPlay? I would like to re-implement (parts of) DirectPlay in Java to use it for writing a lobby application and perhaps a computer player agent. I already looked in the DirectX 8.1 SDK but found no information about it. There is some info in the Linux Wine project, but not really a complete description of the protocol. Many thanks for any hints - Muruvue
Advertisement
The protocol is ''secret'', and unlikely to be ported to any other OS
www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
The DirectPlay protocol is mostly (or completely) proprietary. I didn''t even know WINE had tried to implement it before reading this post . If you want to reverse engineer it, have fun . It''s probably not even worth the effort unless you''re doing a API port like WINE is.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Actually, there are worse protocols to reverse engineer. The protocol isn''t encrypted as far as I can tell, and most of the stuff you see is really straight-forward if you know how UDP-based reliable protocols work.

I did some work on it once, and I was able to query for games at least, but I stopped working on it then.

cu,
Prefect
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement