🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Server

Started by
5 comments, last by sjohnson 22 years, 5 months ago
I want to start-up my own game server but not sure what I all need to do. Can anyone here help? Thanks for the help.
Advertisement
Depends on what kind of games you want to run and how many.

You''ll need an ISP assigned static IP to start with. Then you need to figure out how powerful of a dedicated system you''ll need and how much bandwidth.

Ben

Hi, all

As you know, there are a few outstanding commercial game engines
like unreal, quake engine in 3D Action (What RPG game engine
is popular these days?) So, many game developers tend to buy
one of these engines and then make some mod on it for their
own game.

What I am wondering is there are any commercial game servers
that many game developers use for their network game
in either RPG or 3D Action?

Thank you
I would bet that companies like Bioware (Baldur''s Gate) are licensing their engine for use. Perhaps the Torque engine (www.garagegames.com) would be a good choice for the RPG side of things. Only $100 for a game engine that provides you with the rendering capabilities of Tribes 2.

Apparently, you can now download the Quake II engine for free That doesn''t provide you the rights to create a commercial/for-profit game with it, but you can play with it and learn from it.
Be careful about the Torque game engine. Not to slander the project or anything, but there is almost ZERO documentation (3-4 pages), and very few good tutorials. They use a program to generate documentation from their source code, and that documentation is only slightly better than what you get when you open up a class in Visual C++.

Anyway, for $100, it''s not a bad deal, but be prepared to look thru a lot of source code to figure out how things work.
Actually, you can create a commercial/for-profit game with the Quake2 engine, but whatever you release must be open-sourced. If you want to keep your changes proprietary, then you have to obtain the regular license from id.

Also, with the Torque engine, I believe there are some strict restrictions on what you can do with the game you make (something like the GarageGame''s folks get first denial rights to the game, etc).

-Brannon
-Brannon
The problem about open-source games is that they can very easily be hacked for cheats. You''d have to have a (closed-source) add-on that watches the player (think Punkbuster).

cu,
Prefect
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement