🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Translating Video Games, how much for the rights

Started by
2 comments, last by Fifthcore 22 years, 5 months ago
I was wondering if anyone knows that the going price is to the rights of JAP games. So that we can translate and release them in the USA. I would be talking about Console games. Thanks
www.ivgdb.com Internet Videogame Database
Advertisement
Companies usually have in-house translators for newer stuff, but for older games, you might be able to get it for <$20,000.
Sqeek.
You should probably check out some companies that handle that and see if they can give you some info. I know Working Designs and Atlus of America do translating. Give them a shot.

Charles Galyon
Charles GalyonPresidentNeoPong Software, Inc.
The cost of licensing titles varies greatly depending on the format/quality of the game. I met with a publisher last who was selling a Puzzle Bobble type title for $30,000 plus a royalty per unit (that is a smaller publisher). Bigger titles go into the $millions. I know of a not very good N64 racing title that was licensed only for Europe at a cost of $2 million.

On top of that you may need to organise the localisation and region coding work as well.

Of course if you are talking more esoteric (unknown) Japanese titles you may be able to pick them up cheaper.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions

Edited by - obscure on January 4, 2002 6:21:41 PM
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement