🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

iRC

Started by
17 comments, last by SuperRoy 22 years, 5 months ago
hey... i was thinking about making an irc client. so i talked to my friend about it and he said something about RFC...so I''m wondering if anyone knows what he''s talkin'' about. Or Maybe... If I actually get this project off the ground, would anyone like to work with me on it doing the networking? ~SuperRoy
Sup guys?
Advertisement
RFC''s are the technical definitions of stuff, like the IRC protocol, or FTP protocol, and whatnot. heh heh, how was that for a good definition?
i have no clue what the letters RFC actually stand for, and i''m sure what i just said sounds really dumb to anyone who actually knows about this... but anyways, here is a link to the IRC RFC. it''ll tell you what you need to know

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Thanks a lot, now...is anyone interested in doing the networking? Either WinSock or DPlay...Preferably WinSock.

~SuperRoy
Sup guys?
I don''t believe you could make an IRC client using Directplay. Directplay adds a layer on top of UDP that doesn''t allow the control that you would need to implement IRC.
i''d say 95% of that project will be network stuff (the rest being making a window and handling that)... so someone "helping" you would really be someone doing it for you...
but, anyways, once you get the basics of winsock down, and read through the RFC (or maybe even find a tutorial about it), it shouldn''t be too hard to do; i mean, the RFC thing will tell you what kind of data you must receive, and the format of the data you must send, and the rest is making it pretty.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
95% .... oi! Ok, I guess I''ll learn some WinSock.

~SuperRoy
Sup guys?
quote: Original post by JonStelly
I don''t believe you could make an IRC client using Directplay. Directplay adds a layer on top of UDP that doesn''t allow the control that you would need to implement IRC.

You''d have a hard time implementing the IRC protocol in UDP anyway.

Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism or Microsoft-bashing) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward - Edward Abbey
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
You know, I saw that right after I posted and just KNEW that someone would bust me on it.

=p
Incase you guys didn''t know, IRC is a protocol, how can you implement it with another protocol, if it is one?

Most protocols are implemented in terms of other protocols - f.ex TCP is implemented on top of IP.

Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism or Microsoft-bashing) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward - Edward Abbey
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement