🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How do I learn Multiplayer Programming?

Started by
4 comments, last by executor_2k2 22 years, 5 months ago
I would like to learn sockets. Are there any good books or online resources? DirectPlay also interests me, but I am trying to remain platform independent. Thanks for any suggestion.
Well, that was a waste of 2 minutes of my life. Now I have to code faster to get 'em back...
Advertisement
This is a great place to start: http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~beej/guide/net/html/
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
BSD (Berkerly Socket Descriptor)

That is as about as platform independant as you are going to get without 3rd party libraries.

Gamedev''s AI Auto-Reply bot.
Gamedev's AI Auto-Reply bot.
Well Todd Barron (the moderator of this forum I believe), wrote a book called Multiplayer Game Programming. I enjoyed it alot. Even though it used DirectX for most of the book, it tought a lot of theory. Even if you are achieving platform indipendence, it''s still a good read.

[Edited by - kmsixpence on October 17, 2005 6:22:10 PM]
How do you setup sockets programming for windows? i did the stuff the author suggested in the article, but i am getting an unresolved external symbol called _WinMain@16. Do I have to include an entry point and and a wndproc? thx
Well, that was a waste of 2 minutes of my life. Now I have to code faster to get 'em back...
Create a Win32 Console Application instead of a Win32 Application and you can use the normal main() approach. If you write a Win32 Application, the RTL expects a WinMain functions. This doesn''t mean you have to create a window, but you won''t have a console to output stuff using printf().

So go for the Console Application, it''s a lot simpler if you just want to play around with socket functions.

cu,
Prefect
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement