🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

directplay newbie question

Started by
1 comment, last by vgbaron 22 years, 4 months ago
Ineed some clarification on setting up a direct play application.I''m confused as to whether or not I need to write a server application. The game will be a flight sim and will be the only game launched. I want the user to logon to the website using the application. When they connect to the app running on the site they will see several different sessions of the same game and should be able to join whichever group they want. My confusion is - do I *need* to write a server application for the website to handle this or can I just have the same app on the site? Since there is no need for controlling the sessions( I think ) can I get away with this? I''m thinking generally no more than 10 players. I can probably write the basic application/launcher from the Directx SDK samples but I''m not sure about the server. Any suggestions appreciated, Thanx, vgb
Advertisement
You are talking about setting up a lobby server, and you have to build that from scratch, since it dosen''t come with DP.
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~
There are some examples of lobby server (duel, Slots) I think in the SDK. I guess I should be able to get a decent idea from there.

Thanx,

vgb

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement