🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

newbie Directplay port question

Started by
1 comment, last by vgbaron 22 years, 4 months ago
Using DX7 - trying to put together a lobby server running on a website that will allow users with the client to connect and either create or join sessions of MS FLightSimulator. Reading thru the SDK I believe it says that DP uses port 47624 and 2300-2400. That I think I follow - now I want to set it up so that the clients connect to the server on the site using port 6112 or something similar. Am I correct in assuming that even tho the clients are talking to the lobby on 6112, there will be no problem with the flight running on the other ports? I hope I made my confusion clear - the SDK is a little cryptic at times. And just to make sure I''ve got my terms correct - the lobby server is an app that will run on the website all the time waiting for the clients on the local systems to connect and set up sessions. Last question( for now ) - under the scenario I''ve described - does the client who is host launch the application or does the lobby server launch the application? Still fuzzy on that. Thanx, vgb
Advertisement
All clients would launch the application, the lobby server''s job is to provide chat-type services, and inform the game clients of the server/game parameters to use when launching.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Great! That helps clear up some of the issues.

Thanx,
vgb

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement