🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Do you know about some free server for my server app????

Started by
6 comments, last by Y2Kbug 22 years, 4 months ago
I need some server for my game server app. Do you know about some??? Thanx
Advertisement
WHAT?????????
A server is just a PC, all it needs is the host application running on it and a constant conection to the internet with enough upstream bandwidth to support the traffic generated by your host application. DSL or cable modems will work if they are available in your area. Typically DSLs upstream rate is 256 or 384 kbps and Cable is typically 128 or 256 kbps. Some areas offer more advanced accounts which can acheave up to 1024kbps (1 megabit per second) on cable modems, I believe the maximum for DSL is 512kbps. A computer for use as a server needs high bus and RAM speeds to be more effective, no a fancy graphics card. Don''t bother with multiple processors unless your program takes advantage of them AND you''re running a multi-processor OS (NT, XP pro, LINUX, Mac OS X.) get alot of ram though, at lease 256 megs for linux/NT and 512 for XP. A good place to look is ubid.com, they offer good PCs that can be used for a good server for around 5-600 bucks.

Hope this helped.

Ravyne
Owner/Lead Programmer & Designer
NYN Interactive Entertainment
HTTP://www.NYNInteractive.cjb.net

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Yes, thanx, I know. But I use modem and I could not be connected whole the time and I need some good man who has his own server and he could put my app on it).
good luck w/ that one, unless u have some money to throw down.....
KalvinB offered this service a while ago. You could ask him.
-------------Ban KalvinB !
Some dsl providers will provide up to 7mb down 1mb up service.
I''ve got a commercial roadrunner account. $200 a month, 2Mbit downstream / 500Kbit upstream 5 static IP addresses. They also had a cheaper commercial setup, same speed, $129 a month, 1 static IP address. They put a cisco UBR 924 in your house that can do DHCP / NAT for any non-server computers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement