🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Pros and Cons of WinSock?

Started by
6 comments, last by Metus 22 years, 4 months ago
I''ve got a "Newbie-Winsock-Programming" book just for free and the very basics (pinging, resolving hostnames) seems ver easy. My question: Is Winsock suitable for games (like rpg 2-4 persons) in 3d person perspective?
Ethereal
Advertisement
Yes it is...Besides, what would you use instead ??

DirectPlay ? DirectPlay uses Winsock, so if Winsock can''t be used then DP can''t be used.
-------------Ban KalvinB !
Well, actually I Don''t know.
My 3D Engine has support for OpenGL and Win32 Input.
If my engine will use DirectSound for Audio, perhaps i could use DirectPlay (or whatever it''s name is) but if i will use OpenAL I would need some Win32 stuff (Winsock) instead of DirectPlay
Ethereal
This is not about networking, but use fmod (www.fmod.org) for sound fella, it''s really easy. It''s free for non-commercial usage, and in case you want to publish your game it is quite a goodinvestement as it lets you play a midi file f.e. in 4 or 5 lines of code.
This is not about networking, but use fmod (www.fmod.org) for sound fella, it''s really easy. It''s free for non-commercial usage, and in case you want to publish your game it is quite a goodinvestement as it lets you play a midi file f.e. in 4 or 5 lines of code.
You do know that you can mix DirectX Audio calls with OpenGL calls right? Just because you use OpenAL doesn''t mean you can''t use DirectPlay. I''d still recommend Winsock though...I really don''t like DirectPlay.

Dire Wolf
www.digitalfiends.com
[email=direwolf@digitalfiends.com]Dire Wolf[/email]
www.digitalfiends.com
I like the New DirectPlay8, it''s head and shoulders above the anti-christ DirectPlay7.
- Darkart -
Direct Play 8+ is great for most Window game solutions. If you need multi-OS support, then go with sockets.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement