🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is the game dev market down?

Started by
11 comments, last by Imperitus 22 years, 3 months ago
Yes I agree solinear.

I didn''t felt much of any kind of recession either. Actually the time before and around Christmas was *awesome*. But because this Christmas is the first Christmas since I am making $$$, I might be wrong.

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

Advertisement
Actually, if you check through history on entertainment spending during recessions, you generally find that it actually increases.

That is why 2001 was a banner year for game sales overall. It was also rather good for all forms of entertainment.

Unfortunately, investors and VCs don''t recognize those facts and will curtail investment in both manufacturing and entertainment industries. Large publishers will also use recessions as an excuse to cut their smaller, less profitable ventures loose. I''m guessing that this is for one of two reasons, either because they don''t understand that entertainment spending increases during recessions and thus automatically cut back on spending due to their business background or because they''re dirty rat bastards.
As someone else pointed out, consolidation is not a very good thing for the industry in general. We end up with the same problem as the media industry (and I call it an industry on purpose; anyone who doesn''t think media is run by big business should read some Chomsky), where a few people hold control over the content production, distribution, etc., and there is no place in the market for innovation or at least something different. Maybe things will come full circle in the next few years, as money-holders outside the games industry come in and try to impose some best-practices and kick things into gear...
_________________________The Idea Foundry

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement