🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Forum FAQ

Started by
13 comments, last by DavidRM 22 years, 2 months ago
To date this forum has never had a FAQ. Mostly this is because FAQs require time and effort, not just to pull together, but to maintain. (Also mixed in with this is the implicit understanding that anyone who won''t search a forum for questions similar to his own before asking it again for Nth time in the last week is not going to bother perusing a FAQ. But I digress.) So, in the optimism of that always follows the GDC, even in slow years, I will now begin collecting questions and answers for inclusion in the GameDev.net Business Forum FAQ. To get things started, here are some samples: Q. How much do game programmers get paid? A. Not enough. Q. Is it really possible to make money as an independent. A. Yes. Your mileage may vary. Practice starvation in small doses before trying it For Real (tm), though. Q. How do I setup my game company? A. The procedure varies according to your country, and even your particular state (within the US). Q. I''ve got a great idea for a game and-- A. (interrupting) Wrong forum. Q. I''m looking for someone to help me program my game-- A. (interrupting again) Wrong forum. Of course, some of these questions have much more complete answers available within our humble forum archive. I''ll see what I can dredge up that seems inspired and useful. Full credit will be given to the original posters in this case. So, submit what you consider to be the most frequently asked questions that also get answered. That way we''ll be as complete as possible. Thanks. DavidRM
Samu Games
Advertisement
We get asked a lot about how to promote shareware games. I suggets linking to some of Steve Pavlinas articles, and maybe a list of the common sites such as download.com.
I think a lists of usefull URLS like the association of shareware proffesionals, some reliable webhosting services etc, would be a good start. Also links to the Federation against software theft and similar bodies.

http://www.positech.co.uk
Seems people often ask about the legality of cloning games. Might want to throw a blurb on that in there.
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
yea; a collection of links to good webhosting-,registration-, and download sites would be cool.
Karl - Blueskied Games | my german site: Gratis Spiele
These are the questions that seem to come up the most:

1) What are the average salaries for game developers?
(see gamasutra survey)
2) How much money can you expect to make as a shareware developer?
3) What companies will publish my game (budget publishers)?
4) What are the most popular download sites?
5) What are my options for payment processing tools?
6) Does anybody in these forums have any experience with shareware sales, whether positive or negative.
7) What are the copyright laws for...(art, music, etc)
8)How can I start my own company? What would be involved?

I''d like to help you out with this. I think that I could answer questions 1,3,5,8.
Let me know if you''d like me to draft something for you.
Alex McAndrew
--------------------Help Needed!Turn-based 20th century strategy wargameTitle still to be determined
Alex,

I would greatly appreciate any answers you would like to provide. Don''t sweat the formatting, though. Just focus on the content.

Thanks!

DavidRM
Samu Games
How do I contact publishers?

How do I get funding?

What magazines will rate/review my game? Which will include my game on their CD?
Maybe point to some good examples of home brew companies that have been succesful.
How many copies will my Quake clone sell ?
-------------Ban KalvinB !
quote: How many copies will my Quake clone sell ?

oh, oh, me! me! I can answer that! Pick me!!!!!

Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement