🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Copyright laws

Started by
11 comments, last by Vanz 22 years, 2 months ago
quote: Original post by LessBread
[The flipside of this is that you might be able to make some money too - it''s called "product placement"

Yes indeed.
Oddly enough, the big name companies are far more adamant about nailing people who associate the product with their projects. I believe it has something to do with PR, and Coke is very very picky about who it lets associate with their wonderful trademark.
Advertisement
quote: Original post by krikkit
Yes indeed.
Oddly enough, the big name companies are far more adamant about nailing people who associate the product with their projects. I believe it has something to do with PR, and Coke is very very picky about who it lets associate with their wonderful trademark.

Yep! I would imagine they would be picky about what kind of attitude is shown towards their product (eg, they might not be too thrilled to see Coke equated with poision) and also about how widely distributed the image might become, the more widely distributed the better for them (granted that they like the presentation). Another downside to this is that it''s an obvious sell out. Do it wrong and there goes your street cred.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
You need to be really careful. I worked on a game set in a post apocolypse Australia (the actual location is never really made clear but it is pretty obvious from the intro) and the lead character''s name was Foster.

The brewers that make Fosters tried to claim that we stole the idea for our game from their new advert (set in a post apocolypse Australia) despite the fact that our game had been in development for two years prior to their advert being thought up. Being a large publisher we told them to sling their hook but a small developer might panic and give in.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement