🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Software factory model

Started by
15 comments, last by Tacit 22 years, 2 months ago
Well, with a team that small it''s not an issue. But once you start having 15 or 20 people, things can get complicated.

I''m a bit disappointed that there are not more people who know or have an opinion about this topic...
_________________________The Idea Foundry
Advertisement
I have the book, but haven''t really gone through it well. But its sound like the author has a few good ideas. I can''t really remember any of the specifics, but I think you have take those ideas as with a grain of salt. You know whatever you can get out of it to suit your purpose and if that doesn''t help then you have to find anyway to do things until then.

Sometimes its hard understand what people are saying especially if you don''t understand the topic very well either. I would say I''m not the best person at this sort thing, because I haven''t got any really good work experience yet.

So I don''t really have a good valid opinion, but I tried refuse reply to the topic about something I don''t know and look at what you did.

Just kidding.
Damn, I should know better.

I guess if you state in the original post that you''re only looking for qualified opinions, you shouldn''t be surprised to not get many responses.

So, I learned something valuable out of all of this, even if it isn''t what I set out to learn.

Thanks people!

R.
A Rapid Prototype model is the concept that a functional version of your application which demonstrates limit functionality of your product (perhaps just some of the user interface) should be created as early as possible in the project. This skeleton of the application is then fleshed out in an iterative process.

What is really effective about this type of programming is the effectiveness it has in focusing the thoughts of the team members providing requirements (game designers in some cases).

Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
Thanks Glen...but I''m not talking about rapid prototyping. I''m talking about the software factory model (which I believe are different). Correct?
Well the reuse of components from a Software Factory Model would allow for the quicker realization of prototypes.

But my main point is who cares about all of the software development models whatever they are (Factory, Waterfall, etc.). Get a general idea of where you are headed, get to coding, and refine along the way.

Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
Well, that''s not particularly helpful, is it? If you refer to the initial reason for this thread, I was asking people who had knowledge about the software factory model to offer their feedback and experience. If you don''t think it''s useful or interesting, give your reasons why. Please don''t pollute this thread with a bunch of irrelevant posting. It''s difficult enough to get an intelligent response from someone who''s working in the games industry without all the red herrings thrown in along the way...

Rapid prototyping is interesting, but it doesn''t seem to be an inherent component of the software factory model as an organizational structure. I''m interested in how the software factory model works in practice, not so much as a tool to facilitate software development but as a method to streamline work in general. If you have any relevant comments on that, I''d love to hear them.

R.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement