🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The 5 Stages of Industry Acceptance

Started by
4 comments, last by DavidRM 22 years, 2 months ago
Whenever a new programming or development methodology comes out: First is denial..."This is utter, complete BS! There is no way this could possibly work." Then anger..."I don''t *care* if XYZ Company is using it, you can''t make *me* use it!" Then bargaining..."OK...I''ll use it...but I want to get paid more for having to learn...I still don''t like it..." Then depression..."We''ll *never* ship using this goofy system. Can''t we *please* go back to the old way? Please???" And, finally, acceptance..."I''ve always done it this way." I heard a variation of this in college from one of my professors...Tacit''s thread about the software factory model made me think of it, but I didn''t want to "pollute" his thread. DavidRM
Samu Games
Advertisement
Don''t worry...it could use a little polluting!! I suppose I should have posted it in the programmer forum, but I thought the ''business of game dev'' forum might hit a greater and more diversified bunch.

And now I''m polluting your thread!! How''s that for a how do you do?
_________________________The Idea Foundry
Gee that sounds like me. I hate change
-------------Ban KalvinB !
That''s just about the opposite of my mentality - I love looking into new and possibly better ways of doing things. Sometimes I''m dangerously eager to throw away the old ways and jump right into something new and interesting. What I hate is being forced to learn the way "everybody else" does things. My favorite coding environment is Delphi but even though it''s a perfectly capable tool for creating games I''m trying to force myself to use C++ (which I''ve never liked much) because nobody hires Delphi game developers. I''d say "screw the industry" and go the indie route using Delphi, but that seems to be an even harder road that getting a C++ programming job at a game company, though potentially much more rewarding. I am slightly tired of not having "out-of-box" access to most game-related code and libraries because they''re in C++, so it might be a worthwhile move anyway. And if I ever wanted to do console development....well, you get the idea and I''m starting to ramble.
Diragor,

Yah it is a bit of a struggle to be taken seriously by "real" game industry professionals when you use a "non-standard" tool like Delphi *and* go the indie route. It''s a Double Whammy. But I keep going, anyway. I use whatever tool seems best for the particular project. Currently, I''m using a 3D/multi-player engine I didn''t have to write along with C++ and a proprietory scriting language...but I''ll probably go back to Delphi again after a couple projects like this...I miss my pre-built tools...

I found this quote a few weeks ago, and it really struck a chord with me:

quote:
It has bothered me all my life that I do not paint like everybody else.
-Henri Matisse

You get used to it, I guess.

DavidRM
Samu Games
Here''s a quote from my Business Management Lecturer, it sums up how we should see change, and I think it sounds really cheesy (something a guy in a pin-striped suit with red braces would say)

''Change is not just a destination, but a journey''

Aren''t we all keen now!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement