🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Greater oppertunities for Software Engineer grads

Started by
2 comments, last by chronotrigger99 22 years, 2 months ago
Are there jobs available for people that have a software engineer degrees that wouldn''t be available to people with computer science degrees? I know there''s been a lot of debate between people what you learn from Software Engineering and Computer Science, but what does it boil down when it comes to having a job? conversley are most jobs I see in papers that say any applicants must have computer science degrees also available to people with Software Engineering degrees? Oh yeah, and one differnce between the two courses is that at the University I''m looking at (U of Waterloo) the SE is a part of the Engineering faculty and CS is a part of the math faculty.
Advertisement
From my experience, the bachelor degrees are treated the same in the working world. I don''t even know anyone with a bachelor''s degree that even does any form of software engineering. It''s all straight programming, because most companies don''t do Software engineering.

I''m getting my masters now (after a dissapointing 2 year stint in the real world) and I''m hoping I will be able to land a senior position at a company that actually does software engineering.

But as far as base salaries for bachelors, I''d say 99% of the time they are the same, because most companies don''t know the difference in the degrees (and there probably isn''t much difference in your course work).
He''s a bad motha - Shut yo mouth.
Waterloo has a reputation for having a kick-ass CS program.
Is the SE program new?
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
I''m considering going to waterloo as well. It definitly has a great rep for CS, SE, CE, and advanced maths. The SE degree will actually be accredited as both an engineering and a computer science program from what it says on the website (pending a review of the first class to pass through the new course). I''ve also heard that their co-op program is great, most of the time, the place where you worked during school has a position for you after university, not too shabby.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement