🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Would this be respected in the game community?

Started by
2 comments, last by Imperitus 22 years, 2 months ago
Hey all, I’m working on a web based competitive role playing game, kind of like a supped up version of the old bbs empires game. It’ll be based on php and mysql. While I understand that this isn’t the kind of experience that’d get me a game programming job, I am putting a lot of work into the planning project management, development and design. My question is to those already in the industry, would this sort of thing, if it turns out to be a high quality product, be respected as a resume piece if I were to try and get a job in game development later?
Advertisement
Assuming it''s a high quality product, then of course it''s worthwhile putting on your resume. For a game development interview you might want to demo it to someone also, or just show them the web site.

You need to know how to write about it on your resume so that it sounds impressive, also. Just saying "Developed web-based game" doesn''t sound all that interesting... but saying "Developed web-based game using php4 and mySQL back-end. Features included secure user login, concurrent player interaction, and dynamic java-script interface" sounds much better.
Cool thanks. Yes, I understand I will need to sprooce up my description for any resume presentation.
Yes, but it depends what job your going for. As you say it isn''t much or a programming task, more of a management/design task so it would help in applications for design roles or project management. Just make sure you keep all the documentation you create (not just the finished game) to show how you actually organised it.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement