🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Careers related to game programming? Please advise!

Started by
-1 comments, last by Martoon 22 years, 2 months ago
I''ve been hunting for a game programming job, but without much luck. My wife just finished her doctorate in music and we need to live somewhere where there''s also work for her, which limits my options a bit. Also, neither of us wants to live in California, which eliminates about 90% of the jobs. I''ve decided I need to broaden my career path a little if I don''t want to end up programming financial apps in COBOL or something. I''d like to find a job that''s interesting in some of the same ways that game programming is, and that will continue to enhance my skills as a game programmer (i.e., will be a "plus" on my resume for game companies in the future). My current qualifications are: BS in Computer Science 3.5 years at my current job, which is programming educational games for Windows (C++, using DirectX) A lifetime love affair with video/computer games My current job doesn''t involve any 3D work, but I''ve been studying realtime 3D programming informally for a few years, and I''m pretty familiar with OpenGL from my own experiments. Unfortunately, my skills with Unix-ish OS''s is a little shaky, as I''ve done all of my development on Windows (but I did design and implement a Mac/Windows cross-platform shell for our games at work). I enjoy physics, simulation, graphics, and all of the interesting systems and algorithms that make games work. So my question is: What kinds of jobs can I apply for that would be a good fit for me? Which types of jobs: a. Have many job openings b. Am I qualified for c. Would help me get a better game programming job in the future My current job pays very poorly (it''s a small struggling company), and I really need something more challenging. Unfortunately, I don''t have time to gain more skills, since I need to find a job in the next month. I''d deeply appreciate any advice or pointers. Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement