🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A question about the LGPL

Started by
3 comments, last by NickW 22 years, 2 months ago
Yes, I''m cheap. I develop games on Linux using KDevelop and GIMP, and for 3D stuff, I use MilkShape 3D. If I need to compile something on windows I use Borland''s Free Command Line Compiler. So, if I don''t want to pay $15,000 for an MP3 lisence, and I decide to use Ogg Vorbis instead, or if I want to use SDL so that my games are cross-platform, I have to comply by the LGPL. What''s the best way for a cheapskate like me to do this? I know that you have to clearly give notice that you are using the LGPLed library, but what else? The LGPL says that you have to make the source code to the library available, but that is pretty vague. If I distribute my games on a CD, can I just stick it in a zip file on the CD? If I distribute my games over the internet, can I just link to the website of the library? Also, if the program won''t work without the library, does that make it a derivative work (meaning that I can''t sell it)? I''m not a lawyer, I can''t interpret that lawyer jargon, so maybe some of you can help me out. =P NickW
Advertisement
not a clue, but maybe you could help me out and e-mail me a link to that information about the Mp3 Licencing....

snprbob@optonline.net

thanks,
-SniperBoB-

[edited by - snprbob86 on April 28, 2002 9:07:31 PM]
To the best of my knowledge ...

If you are using something GPL''s (not LGPL''s) then it doesn''t matter if you link to it, or include it or what, if you USE it, then you MUST be GPL yourself.

The LPGL on the other hand is made specifically so that you may "use" it, without having to be GPL or LGPL yourself. The details are kinda dirty, and hard to be sure of until it gets tested in court .. but the basics are ... Any module / library / or code which inludes or is based on the LGPL''d code MUST be LGPL''d itself ... but code that just "links to" or "uses" an LGPL''d library is unaffected. Your code is not bound by any requirements ...

BUT if you distribute the LGPL''d library (like in order to install it with the game or whatever) ... then you must of course include (or make available on a public website) it''s source code as well .. with a prominent notice about the location of the source code and the license it follows.

So here''s an example ... you want to load an LGPL''d library in your game ... you can just list the library under the requirements of your program ... and TELL them to download and install it before installing your program. Then you have NO rules to follow at all. OR you can simple include a version of it on your CD in installable form, and perhaps a zip file and a readme for the source.
I think with the LGPL, you don''t even have to provide the source yourself, just a link to the original site. So for SDL, you''d have something in the readme about going to libsdl.org to get the source.

Now if you modify the library, then you''d have to host the source yourself.

If you''re distributing on CD, then I don''t see why you wouldn''t just stick the source on the disk and be done with it.

Unless you''re selling to mostly linux people, telling your customers to go download SDL (or whatever) themselves is probably a bad idea.

Take care,
Bill
quote: Original post by SnprBoB86
not a clue, but maybe you could help me out and e-mail me a link to that information about the Mp3 Licencing....

I think I read it in the LICENSE file for libmod, but I''m not too sure. It''s been a while.

NickW

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement