🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Sending demos and info to publishers

Started by
25 comments, last by Verin 22 years, 1 month ago
quote: Original post by Mr_Confused
What is an NDA???

---------------------------------------------------------

Until you''ve failed, you don''t know what success is.

Non Disclosure Agreement

Basically a secrecy contract ("I Mr Blah promise not to tell anyone outside my company any secret information you give me..." "...and if I do tell anyone I agree to let you sue me for lots of money").

You sign NDAs for all sorts of things within the games world - with publishers, with PC hardware manufacturers who are going to tell/show you their unreleased chips, with console manufacturers (Sony, Nintendo, MS) when they give you documentation required to develop on those platforms etc.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Advertisement
Recorded post, registered post or pidgeon post, sending stuff to yourself does not prove anything. The envelope could still be empty and the contents added after it was delivered.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Hehe OK then go lodge a date stamped copy with your bank then and ask them to put it the vault for a small fee.

Or... dont do anything at all and when/if you actually do get ripped off down the line then it''s yer own fault for being a lazy feckwit for not doing ''anything'' about it at all in the first place !.

The most important thing anyway surely is finding a publisher you can trust with your project - and it''s not that easy of course first time round being a chicken and egg situation.

Adrian Cummings (Proprietor)
Mutation Software
EMail: arc@mutationsoftware.com
URL: www.mutationsoftware.com
URL: www.dweebs.info
Adrian Cummings (Proprietor)Mutation Softwarewww.mutationsoftware.comwww.dweebs.info
I'm surprised nobody in this thread brought up the idea of hiring an agent to put you in contact with publishers.

www.red-la.com
www.octagon1.com

Agents can be helpful since they already have relationships with decision makers at publishers, while you may not. It can be much easier for an Agent to get you an audience than if you try to make contact yourself.

I've found that agents are also willing to sign your NDA, although eventually any publisher might not (as was pointed out earlier).

Also, I'd suggest looking at the GDC archives for business sessions:

www.gdconf.com/archives/

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.

[edited by - grhodes_at_work on May 9, 2002 2:58:42 PM]
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
Good idea but by no means safe either in ''some'' cases...

I HAD an agent... he/they ''ripped me off''... took me a lot of extra time & work to sort it all out 2-3 years down the line regards royalties.

Mutation Software
Adrian Cummings (Proprietor)Mutation Softwarewww.mutationsoftware.comwww.dweebs.info
quote: Original post by Mutation
Good idea but by no means safe either in ''some'' cases...

I HAD an agent... he/they ''ripped me off''... took me a lot of extra time & work to sort it all out 2-3 years down the line regards royalties.

Did you hire a reputable agent? And did you also have a lawyer that you trusted? Whew! The legal and business management problems are surely mind-boggling and energy-draining...you can''t let your guard down for a second.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
We also used an agent for a number of years, but we let our contract with the agent expire and didn''t renew. Our agent was able to help us get deals, but I found the whole developer-agent-publisher relationship to be fraught with peril.

Since the agent has a different agenda than either the developer or publisher, using an agent can tend to complicate an already complex relationship-building process. It''s like trying to make a marriage work between three people (it''s hard enough with two). During the years we worked with an agent, every deal the agent brought us ultimately fell apart. Once we let go of the agent, things went much more smoothly for us.

I also found that many publishers are completely turned off by agents because they feel the agent is there just to jack up the price. Because of their greater experience, some agents can be far better negotiators than their equivalents at publishers, and this can put publishers on the defensive. I saw this happen on several occasions.

I think that if a developer is in it for the long run, it''s important to develop your own contacts and learn how to negotiate your own publishing deals. It can take a long time, but in the end it will really pay off. When we terminated our agency agreement, we were cut off from many of our publisher contacts, since they all knew the agent, not us. Building contacts on our own worked out much better in the long run though, and it''s much less risky.

Now that we''ve entered publishing ourselves, we''d be unlikely to work with developers who come to us through agents. Our plan is to build strong long-term relationships with a tight group of developers, and agents get in the way of building direct ties with the people behind the games.

Steve Pavlina
Dexterity Software
www.dexterity.com
-- Steve PavlinaDexterity Softwarewww.dexterity.com"Boredom's Greatest Enemy"Free Shareware Success Articles | Indie Game Dev Forums
Steve/Dexterity tells it how it is for sure and totalyl agree.
Since signing direct with a previous publisher it''s been like a big weight has been lifted - utter bliss !.

I don''t think I''ll bother with an agent or middle-man type setup again it''s just to taxing on the old brain worrying where everything is and how it''s all going (something they are supposed to stop you thinking about really for the cut they take !).

DIY direct to the publisher is best for sure in the long run.

I don''t expect eberybody to agree either that''s just the ''informed'' choice I have nade after doing this for about 13 years - so there you have it.

Mutation Software
Sorry my spelling/sentence construction was pretty bad there - bit tired tonight
Adrian Cummings do you develop games as full time job as an indie developer?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement