🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Contract between Programmer and Artist/Musician

Started by
3 comments, last by ape 22 years, 1 month ago
I''ll soon be approaching a publisher with a game of mine. I am satisfied that this game will eventually earn me a few bucks. I''ve got an artist and a musician, and I''ve aggreed with both of them on what they will be paid, in the event that the game makes money. I''ve got a very amiable relationship with both of them, tho we''ve never actually met in person, but I know when money''s involved, things could get ugly if they''re not settled before hand. I want to know if there''s a generic/sample contract somewhere that I can edit to fit my specific needs. It should allow my media creators to have exclusive rights to their work, and allow me to use the art/music in my game. I''ll own the game, but they''ll own their work. I''ll have complete permission to use their work in my game, but for nothing else. Also in the contract there would be some mention of what they will be paid. I''d like something that sounds a little bit legal... at least better than I could do by myself. I know nothing is carved in stone unless you have a lawyer (ok.. mabey not even then), but this contract will make our agreement a little more formal, and make all parties less likely to pitch a fit and fight over money or IP rights, should there be a massive breakdown in communication and we all start bickering like childern. Any pointers to where I can find such a contract? Any of you folks who''ve been published befor might have something like this on hand. Or at least advice about what I should do Thanks
Advertisement
Check out the sample forms and agreements at allbusiness.com. It''s a great legal and business oriented website.
--------------------Help Needed!Turn-based 20th century strategy wargameTitle still to be determined
In case you've missed it, this is an excellent article on exactly that subject (courtesy of gamedev.net of course )

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article897.asp

[edit] Is there any way of creating a hyperlink? Most forum software uses . [/edit]<br><br><SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - iceman_sas on May 3, 2002 7:07:43 PM]</SPAN>
quote: Original post by iceman_sas

[edit] Is there any way of creating a hyperlink? Most forum software uses . [/edit]<br><br><SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - iceman_sas on May 3, 2002 7:07:43 PM]</SPAN> <hr height=1 noshade></SPAN></BLOCKQUOTE> <br><br>This forum accepts HTML tags.
quote: Original post by ape
I know nothing is carved in stone unless you have a lawyer (ok.. mabey not even then), but this contract will make our agreement a little more formal,

Even without having a lawyer present, if its down on paper and you all signed it, it is a binding contract under the law. The thing you have to watch out for is the wording, which can cause some trouble in court. Make sure you put a clause in that you can use the artwork if you make updates or patches. Just in case.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

"Commmmpuuuuterrrr.." --Scotty Star Trek IV:The Voyage Home
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement