🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

PC vs Console

Started by
2 comments, last by RajanSky 22 years, 1 month ago
Hey all, I was just wondering where do you guys see game development going in the next few years? In particular, do you think we''ll have the same balance between console games and PC games? I read a little blurb that Sony''s planning to launch the 3rd generation playstation in a few years, and it''s going to have a processor that''s *200* times as fast as the ones we have today!!! It makes me wonder if all the hardcore gamers are going to play console games, so the PC game industry will only be left with the "occasional gamers" who don''t care enough to go out and spend money on a console system. Consoles are also catching up to PCs in other ways. We''re seeing things like DVDs, etc, as standard components. Also I heard that the playstation3 will have massive support for online gaming. This is probably going to be a big deal because up til now, I think that even though consoles may have had limited support for internet play, PCs ruled in this area. But that might change, so the way I see it, the reason for gamers to stick with a PC are becoming less clear. Another thing which is nice about console games is that once a gaming system is released, it never changes. In the world of PCs, hardware configurations and things like that are always changing so it''s really hard to ensure compatibility. With consoles you never have to worry about it, so once you learn how to program for that console, you''re set. (Well until a few years later when it loses popularity). But I don''t know because if all this stuff about consoles is true, then why are people still playing PC games today? I think the Playstation2 and XBOX are pretty huge competition against PCs yet I haven''t heard any apocalyptic reports of the PC game industry going up in smoke. So I''m curious to see what you guys think! Rajan
Advertisement
quote: I read a little blurb that Sony''s planning to launch the 3rd generation playstation in a few years, and it''s going to have a processor that''s *200* times as fast as the ones we have today!!!

Console processors are rarely, in my experience, faster than those of up-to-date PC systems. They may be utilised more efficiently (PC''s need software layers to handle compatibility issues), but the raw processing power is often less rather than greater. I doubt it''s economically feasible to do otherwise.
quote: Another thing which is nice about console games is that once a gaming system is released, it never changes. In the world of PCs, hardware configurations and things like that are always changing so it''s really hard to ensure compatibility. With consoles you never have to worry about it, so once you learn how to program for that console, you''re set. (Well until a few years later when it loses popularity).

... Whereas a PC system can be upgraded gradually and thus doesn''t lose its popularity. If my computer falls behind, I can just change the outdated parts and keep what I already have. Once a console dies, it''s dead. I''d say the PC''s dynamic nature is the key to its success, not its undoing. It''s a very versatile device. I wouldn''t keep either a PC or a console just for gaming (too expensive), but I use my computer in many areas. I''d own one even if I couldn''t play games on it, and once I own one, then why not use it for games?
The thing is, computers are around and will probably stick around for a while yet, and it''s much more convenient to just buy games for it than to buy an entirely new machine that can do nothing but play games -- and has a useful lifespan of only a few years, if you want to stay up to date with the games.
I think the fact that consoles exist with only one hardware configuration is a definite plus to developers. They don''t have to spend any amount of time fixing or even worrying about compatibility. A lot of developers seem to be tending a little more towards console development. I myself don''t plan on buying an XBox, PS2 or GameCube, but I don''t see myself missing out on any amount of fun because I stick to my PC. Not yet, anyway.

Yes, consoles will eventually fall behind in speed, requiring an eventual new purchase. Perhaps console manufacturers would be wise to allow upgrade modules to speed up the hardware or increase the graphics capability. Still, the mass sale of a new system doesn''t seem to stop the frustrated consumer from picking up a their own anyway ("Everyone else does it so it must not be so bad" kind of thinking - just seeing the systems sell seems to argue the frustration away - isn''t marketing interesting?)

PC''s will always, I think, have more capability than the consoles. There may be a new fad of game that integrates with Internet Explorer or other applications on the PC, who knows. I do think that when such a new genre of game is created, the PC will likely see it first, because it''s a less risky beta platform.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
quote: Original post by Waverider
I think the fact that consoles exist with only one hardware configuration is a definite plus to developers.
Perhaps console manufacturers would be wise to allow upgrade modules to speed up the hardware or increase the graphics capability.

Arent these contradictory statements? And if you make consoles upgradable, then the different between a PC and a console is...?????? It just makes things confusing. Even if they only have one sanctioned upgrade instead of 10 upgrades from competing companies, you still destroy the whole branding advantage. Customers cant easily just say "Oh, my son has a Playstation 2, so I should get this for him". Instead they say "Oh, my son has a Playstation 2, but what is this video and memory upgrade thing? Does he have that? I dont know, I just picked one up off the shelf. Hmmm, maybe I''ll just get him something else to be safe"
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement