🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Internet Advertising + Profits = Possible?

Started by
2 comments, last by GroZZleR 22 years, 1 month ago
Hey all, Firstly, does anyone know some fair / honest internet advertisers (banners) to sign up for? But more importantly, can money be made through banners? What about online "games" like Earth: 2025, or U-Planet, where clicking on a banner gets you a free turn / move in the game. What kind of bandwidth do they take up, whats the average cost of something like that? Basically, is it possible to turn a profit / break even with these sorts of projects? Tremble before me, I am your new God.
Advertisement
Your sig seems a bit up front heh!

back on topic, from what I''ve seen and heard, most ads nowadays rarely make any relevant income unless they are specifically targetted and related to the website. Of course the best income comes in the form of co''s that approach the website themselves for the campaigns (I''m sure this site has done this before).
On the bandwidth side of things, they are mostly shown through the ad distributor so the most bandwidth you''d take up is about ~500 bytes/page for the placement code

Anyway, if you create games, I''d suggest looking over at gamesbanner.net. Not quite what your after per se but cool non-theless.

Philip LutasMy site of randomness
There is always BeFree and Amazon Associates.

http://www.befree.com

Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
I signed up with www.commissionjunction.com and in the least intrusive manner possible, I put ads in the tricks section of my site which is the most visited. For instance, I have the source for a number of games (Quake, ect) and then I have a "Buy Latest Addition" link which is an ad but done in such a way you won''t notice it if you''re not interested in the product. I have a couple pages which are pure ads for testing to see which work best but they''re still related to the section. No pop ups. I refuse to do pop ups or even pop unders. I understand Gamedev.net needs the revenue so I don''t mind them doing it.

Anywayz, one of the ads which is for "Teach Yourself DirectX 7 in 24 Hours" had a 10% click thru rate which is 10 times better than the average ad. But it still hasn''t made a dime. Currently I''ve served up ~43,000 ads in the last 4 months and havn''t made anything.

It seems like a good idea but unless you''re getting millions of page views of month, odds are you won''t make anything and you''ll just annoy your visitors.

Icarusindie does around 300,000 page views a month with ~25,000 unique IPs. If you want to make a web-site, do it because you enjoy it. Not because you want to make money.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | Programming | Gang Wars | The Wall]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement