🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Sim Games and Copyright

Started by
18 comments, last by chronos 22 years, 1 month ago
quote: Original post by __ODIN__
Simple solution; write up the design draft (or document). Put it in a sealed envelope. Mail it to yourself. Problem solved.

Speaking for U.S. law....no, no, no, no, NO! If I had a nickel for every time....

The post office will be just as happy to take your money and deliver you back an empty, unsealed envelope. The ONLY guaranteed way to provide proof of date for ANYTHING is to either get it certified by a notary public or (this is probably just as good) register a copyright/trademark/patent (whichever is applicable) with the government.

quote: f you have good evidence, the lawyer will most likely advise their client that they''re unlikely to win this battle, and pull out..
I dont know. It seems a lot of lawyers are just as happy to charge their $300/hour or whatever anyway.
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
Advertisement
Odin, that doesn't work, nor would it stand in court. It is simple to mail yourself an unsealed envelope, and then put information in it after receiving it and sealing it at a later date. Courts and lawyers know this.

Chronos, you're being paranoid. No one is going to sue you for an idea. As long as your implementation is different, it will be fine.

--OctDev

[edited by - OctDev on May 29, 2002 9:59:09 PM]
The Tyr project is here.
Perhaps I am being paranoid as some of you say, but I simply have no trust in the way that courts deal with IP cases. You're right that the best thing to do is to concentrate on making my game, putting in as much work as possible to finish it as quickly as possible. Even so, I'd like to protect myself against future problems.

[edited by - chronos on May 30, 2002 7:21:03 PM]
i dont know evrything about copyright stuff, but isnt it legal to make clones of games anyway? they are all over websites. also, most rpg and rts games have very similar gameplay but no one cares. just an idea.
In general its alright, but a lot of poeple have gotten in trouble (especially with hasbro) for making the clone too similar. Even so, you can be 100% in the right, but if a multi-million dollar corporations wants to drag you through court over it, do you have the time and money to defend yourself? Are you willing to risk your car, your house, and the shirt off your back? Because thats what it could cost to defend yourself (and still with no guarantee that you will win...remember, courts do make stupid decisions occasionally).

Just to be clear, though, I'm not saying I'd be that worried about this happening, just that it is wise to take a little bit of precaution on everything. Mostly worry about getting it done though.

[edited by - LordKronos on May 30, 2002 9:27:11 PM]
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
Hmm. Yeah, I suppose the empty envelope would be a problem =)

There''s an interesting article here :
http://www.gamasutra.com/gdc2002/features/rubin/rubin_02.htm

"
Procedure
Copyright protection exists for any qualifying work without formal action. It is unnecessary to obtain a copyright registration from the Library of Congress in order to claim copyright protection. However, suit to enforce the copyright may not be brought until the copyright is registered. Moreover, the remedies of statutory damages (no less that $500 nor more than $20,000 for each violation as the court determines is just) and attorneys'' fees are only available for infringement occurring after registration. Only injunctive relief and actual damages are available for infringement occurring before registration. Registration requires completion of a copyright registration form along with the registration fee (currently $30) and two
copies of the work. "

Having said that; I think most of us are of the opinion that
1) You probably can''t enforce it .
2) Concentrate on finishing the game
3) Noone''s going to sue you unless you do something like PatMan, or Tutris. If there''s a significant similarity in name + content. In which case, you''re infringing trademark, which is a lot easier to handle..

Allan
------------------------------ BOOMZAPTry our latest game, Jewels of Cleopatra
Remember, this is why Apple lost their battle against Microsoft. Even though the look and feel were very similar, the underlying code is quite different, and there was no trademark/copyright infringement.

Maxis will not waste their time chasing you, even if they could. Your game will need to come to fruition and even become a threat (i.e. climb the sales charts) for them to take notice.
Value of good ideas: 10 cents per dozen.Implementation of the good ideas: Priceless.Machines, Anarchy and Destruction - A 3D action sim with a hint of strategy
BS-r;

It doesn''t really need to climb the charts for someone to take notice; Hasbro came down hard on several small Tetris and other classic game shareware manufacturers..

Mind you, they were quite flagrently plagerizing some classic games, without changing the name or the gameplay..

Allan
------------------------------ BOOMZAPTry our latest game, Jewels of Cleopatra
quote: Original post by __ODIN__
Mind you, they were quite flagrently plagerizing some classic games, without changing the name or the gameplay..

The name is a trademark issue, but the people behind Tetris act as if they own the shapes of the blocks and the gameplay. And that is the problem. Two sim games will have extremely similar gameplay. If you designed a city simulator how different would it be from Sim City? How similar?

Wanna see IP law at work? See www.antimonopoly.com. The following excerpt is quite interesting:

"This is the correct answer to the question Hasbro poses on its History page: ". . .where did Monopoly come from?". Monopoly came from the public domain folkgame, named monopoly, invented by Elizabeth Magie Phillips about 1908. In 1931, this game was transformed by some Atlantic City Quakers into Monopoly as we know it. They taught it to Darrow who added some copyrighted art work and began to sell it commercially in 1933, dishonestly claiming invention rights.

Hasbro's predecessor knew all this by 1935 but chose to bury the truth in order to monopolize Monopoly with a fraudulent Darrow invention patent."

[edited by - chronos on June 2, 2002 11:14:28 PM]
From Hasbro''s website: "My Monopoly game is so much a part of today''s popular culture that my lawyers have trademarked many of its graphic elements. The tokens, Railroad, Community Chest, Chance, and Title Deed designs, as well as Boardwalk and all four gameboard corners are legally protected. "

This I find particularly offensive. To claim trademark protection on something that is NOT being used in the naming of a product is in my mind one of the worst evils of trademark law. Having a railroad in a monopoly-like game a protected element? Somebody kill me!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement