🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Business License

Started by
9 comments, last by OBP 22 years ago
I''m currently in the late stages of developing a shareware solitaire game and I figure I should begin gearing up to sell - I''m going to need two things - a business license and VC Pro...How much for each? I''m currently using VC 5 Learning edition (Can''t distribute programs made with it) and I will need a business license to legally sell the game I guess...So does anyone have any numbers? Also...what is the time period of obtaining the license like? I would like to sell soon...I live in Canada just so you know eh.Thanks for the help. Please convert currency into beaver pelts.
Advertisement
I live in the US and have a business license for Icarus Independent to distribute software over the net. It cost me ~$10. The wait was just a month or so from applying.

VC++ 6 Professional in the states is around $100.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | Programming | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting]
quote: Original post by KalvinB
VC++ 6 Professional in the states is around $100.

You forgot a zero... VS Pro is about $1000, VC++ Standard (non-optimizing, i.e. unsuitable for professional use) is about $100.

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Wrong. You can get the whole Visual Studio Professional for $300-$400 legitimately. Visual C++ Professional alone (not as part of Visual Studio) can be had for around $100.

P.S. Sorry...my figures are in US dollars. Add 50% (I think?) to convert it to beaver pelts.

[edited by - LordKronos on June 3, 2002 2:02:43 PM]
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
quote: Original post by LordKronos
Wrong. You can get the whole Visual Studio Professional for $300-$400 legitimately. Visual C++ Professional alone (not as part of Visual Studio) can be had for around $100.

VS Pro : That''s assuming you have a registered VC6 Pro and buy an ''upgrade''.
VC Pro: We''re not talking about the Academic edition, nor the Standard edition.

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Just go to Ebay.com. I am positive you can find it well under $1000.

OME
Sorry Fruny, but you are incorrect. I''m not talking about an upgrade or an academic version. For instance, take a look at this site:
http://www.go2pcparts.com/visstudprofe.html

Thats just one I found in about 2 minutes. I was helping someone track down a copy several months ago, and we found several places that sell visual studio in the $300-$400 range. And this is a full version, not upgrade. Thats what I though when I helped him, so I went to microsoft''s site and checked into model numbers. 659-00390 is the VS6 Pro Full. 659-00392 is VS6 Pro Upgrade. 659-00391 is VS6 Pro Full Academic. The item I mentioned above is 659-00390, the full retail version.

Similar thing about VC6, its the full version, not an upgrade or academic. I dont have the part numbers for those handy right now, but I looked into it and it was the full retail version.

The trick is not to buy your software direct from Microsoft, and not from CompUSA or any other big stores either.
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
Ok.
Is a business license really necessary to sell a game online? I don't know about Canada, but I thought that in the US a person could do business under his own name without needing a license (except for certain business types like restaurants). Am I wrong?

[edited by - chronos on June 3, 2002 8:55:27 PM]
Thanks for the replies. Chronos - I''m not quite sure, I just assumed that I would need the business license. LordKronos - Thanks for the info. That would be great if I could get VC for under a thousand, as my budget is currently, well, 0. The MS website says that VC 6 Standard is the replacement product for VC 5 Learning, and my concern was that VC 5 Learning, the version that I am running, is not legal to release software for. So the question is...Is it legal to distribute software using VC 6 Standard, or do I have to buy pro?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement