🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Copyright on AD&D

Started by
16 comments, last by NewDeal 22 years ago
Hi, i just started implementing the rules of "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 3rd Edition" into my game. Im wondering if im breaking any copyright laws as long as i dont mention the actual trademark ? I looked for info at Wizards of the Cost but couldnt find the information i was looking for. Anybody know ? [edited by - newdeal on June 3, 2002 5:44:31 PM]
Advertisement
Open Gaming License

But there are much better alternatives than D&D...

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]

[edited by - Fruny on June 3, 2002 5:50:11 PM]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Thanks

I like D&D though, what other systems do you have in mind ?
Are you suggesting AD&D is an open license? I couldnt find anything on those pages to suggest it was, though I might have missed it. Here is the closest thing I read:

quote: )"Open Game Content" means the game mechanic and includes the methods, procedures, processes and routines to the extent such content does not embody the Product Identity and is an enhancement over the prior art and any additional content clearly identified as Open Game Content by the Contributor, and means any work covered by this License, including translations and derivative works under copyright law, but specifically excludes Product Identity

But it doesnt say which works are covered under this license.

I wouldnt really know anything about the topic, but I seem to remember reading an article recently about how neverwinter nights was going to be the first game to license the new AD&D combat rules, or something like that. I can''t say for sure what it was, but that vague phrase stuck in my mind. It that is correct, wouldnt that imply that AD&D system is NOT open?
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
Copyright CANNOT and DOES NOT cover game mechanics. Any game system anywhere can be reimplemented as the basis for a different game by someone else. Hence the million Risk clones ... but don''t use the name "Risk", same thing with AD&D: You can use the basic dice and stat system, the classes, experience data, etc ... but you cannot use the name "Advanced Doungeons & Dragons" nor any artwork, characters, or quotes copywritten by TSR / Wizard''s of the Coast.

Think about it and you will see that this is how the whole system works, TSR creates official branded "Products" which have artwork, charts, diagrams, etc ... and other people offer player''s aids and such designed to be used WITH (AD&D).
quote: Original post by LordKronos
Are you suggesting AD&D is an open license? I couldnt find anything on those pages to suggest it was, though I might have missed it. Here is the closest thing I read:
/quote]

Going back to to the main page of the site, you get the link to the SRDs which are (explicitely) released under open licence. You find there most of the AD&D3 core rules.

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
That answers that quite well. Looks like so far, pretty much everything except monsters, items, and special abilitis are released. Thanks. I guess what I read about NWN was probably saying they actually licensed the AD&D name.

Oh, and looking at Wizards of the Coast, it looks like the dropped the "Advanced" from AD&D (its just D&D now). It''s been longer than I can remember since I played, but when did they do that? I never noticed till now.
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
quote: Original post by LordKronos
Oh, and looking at Wizards of the Coast, it looks like the dropped the "Advanced" from AD&D (its just D&D now).

IIRC there were D&D, then D&D2, AD&D, AD&D2 ... so WOTC just went to D&D3

I could be wrong, it''s been a while since I''ve looked at it, but I think the OGL specificaly disallows use of the d20 system in computer games. But it''s a fairly generic system anyway, and wouldn''t be that difficult to munge into something different.

The OGL covers writing things that work with the D&D 3E system. You cannot, however, write something specifically for Forgotten Realms or Planescape or whatnot. It''s not really a matter of mentioning "Dungeons and Dragons", it''s staying away from the copyrighted material that Wizards has decided not to open up.

Take care,
Bill
As I understand it they are going to add information to the OGL/d20 to better handle the software case. I just think all in all you are better creating something original.

Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement