🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Article: So You Want to Start a Game Dev Co?

Started by
54 comments, last by DavidRM 22 years ago
quote: Original post by LordKronos
Good story steve. Lets just hope a bunch of people dont walk away with the wrong moral...that its a good idea to go bankrupt.

Hehehe. I''m not trying to encourage more bankruptcies... just saying it''s not something people need to fear as the end of their financial lives, at least not in the U.S. Bankruptcy is a safety net, one that many of the greatest entrepreneurs of all time have used to get a fresh start when their plans went bust.

Steve Pavlina
Dexterity Software
www.dexterity.com
-- Steve PavlinaDexterity Softwarewww.dexterity.com"Boredom's Greatest Enemy"Free Shareware Success Articles | Indie Game Dev Forums
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Dexterity
Bankruptcy is a safety net, one that many of the greatest entrepreneurs of all time have used to get a fresh start when their plans went bust.

As I recall, I think Thomas Edison was another big name missing from you list.

Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
I have a question for those of you who are making a decent amount of money selling games, shareware or not.

I've had a bad and costly experience trying to get a game published through an incompetent publisher, so I've dried up 3 years of savings in the process. Since I can't stand the idea of going back to work for a game company (heck, I'll flip burgers before doing that again), I'm giving it another try while struggling on the border of debt.

Given an original and good-quality shareware title in my hands and a few pennies I saved up by eating no-name brand mac & cheese, what's the best way to get it out there in the shareware market? I get the impression that it won't receive the coverage it needs on the multitude of shareware distributor sites, due to shovel-ware (aka clone-ware) saturation. I'd even be surprised if any shareware author was breaking even in that market. It'd be like trying to find a needle in a haystack without visitors even knowing about such a needle existing.

Is there a better way to spread the word and get my theoretical title out in public where people can see it, without maxing out my credit cards? And without having to wait in line for months to get on a more reputable shareware distribution site while my nickles keep trickling away?

[edited by - Sorairo on June 13, 2002 7:16:18 PM]
The only problem I have with the method outlined in the document is I don't like playing budget games and I wouldn't be motivated to create one.

One other thing I'm concerned about is if you follow the route of making budget games don't you run the risk of being trapped in that field? If your business is very successful in a particular area you would be very tempted to stay where you know the money is. The reason I thought of this is I like RPGs like Fallout and Baldurs Gate and I would hate to get stuck working on games like Pac Man.

"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."

George W. Bush

[edited by - davaris on June 13, 2002 8:58:59 PM]
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
Not always. Although its probably a lot more common for a shareware developer to stay with small shareware games, it doesn always work that way.

The first company to come to mind is Longbow Digital Arts. They started out making simple puzzle and breakout games. The last game they ended up making was treadmarks, which was quite a revolutionary tank combat game which won awards. Unfortunately, Seumas McNally (the central figure in the company) passed away. Since then, they''ve only released a tetris-like game.

Our own moderator DavidRM has developed a game called Artifact, which is kind of a multi-player real time strategy game. While I dont think he''s quite making millions off it, last I heard he said he was doing pretty good with it, and it certainly doesnt fall in with your typical shareware-type game.
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
Steve; thanks for the great answer...

Well.. currently, I think I''ll sit tight at the burger-flipping joint (methaphoricaly speaking). At least it''s a nice 9-5.30 job, so there''s a fair amount of spare time available.. =)

Thanks,

Allan

Fe doeyr, Frender Doeyr,Ein sjoelv doeyr paa sama vis

Eg veit et som aldri doeyr... Dom over kvar ein doed.
------------------------------ BOOMZAPTry our latest game, Jewels of Cleopatra
Davaris: A game made with a small budget is, by definition, a budget game. However, not all games created on a small budget are puzzle games.

The basic concept the article is trying to present is: pick a project that can be done in a reasonable timeframe. Games like Baldurs Gate don''t fall into that category. Not for a lone developer, certainly, and not even for a small, volunteer team. (And don''t even get me started on the "like EQ, but better" wannabes...)

Anything that''s going to take you more than a year to complete is probably too big to tackle without outside funding. Especially as a first, independent project.

So, instead, you start with something small. Then, with the experience and (hopefully) revenue stream created by that, you move on to your next project, and so on.

Puzzle games are an obvious example of how some developers have been successful. That doesn''t mean *only* puzzle games are good first projects.

I hope that helps clarify things some.

DavidRM
Samu Games
quote: Original post by Davaris
The only problem I have with the method outlined in the document is I don''t like playing budget games and I wouldn''t be motivated to create one.

I completely understand -- I would not be fulfilled spending my time making a solitaire card game, for instance.

The trick for me was to look at the set of all games I''d enjoy developing and compare it with the set of all games I could create on a reasonable budget and that could make money as shareware. In my case these two sets overlapped, so I work within that intersection. I think if you''re flexible enough, these two sets probably overlap for most developers.

For instance, I liked games like Lemmings as a player. Another favorite was an old Mac shareware game called Oxyd. I knew I could make games like this on a very limited budget. Dweep, for instance, was the kind of game I enjoy as a player, but it was a serious design challenge. The programming was trivially easy for me, but I challenged myself by trying to make the code extremely well organized and flexible and planning for expansion packs.

Steve Pavlina
Dexterity Software
www.dexterity.com
-- Steve PavlinaDexterity Softwarewww.dexterity.com"Boredom's Greatest Enemy"Free Shareware Success Articles | Indie Game Dev Forums
The nice thing about starting with budget games is that it can give you a stable base of ongoing passive income. You can then use this income to fund larger projects.

For instance, I only need to spend about 30 minutes a day on maintenance-type activities (i.e. tasks that are necessary to maintain our income). Most of my time is spent on doing things to grow this income.

So I can maintain my standard of living for at least a few more years with just 30 minutes a day of work (0 minutes if I hired someone else to handle those 30 minutes). In the short term, if I take a day off or work a day, I make the same amount of money.

The net result is that I don''t presently have to work to maintain my standard of living. I could take a year off, and I''d be just fine, although my income wouldn''t likely increase much.

When you reach this state, your mindset switches from "I have to..." to "I get to...."

Another thing to consider is risk management. If the first project you take on will take you 18+ months to complete, you''re taking on too big a risk. You don''t even know if the game will sell. Better to try a simpler game (no more than 3 months for the first project), get it released, and get some money coming in. You can use this income to pay for software and hardware upgrades and to convince yourself that the system works.

My first shareware game, for instance, was a simple shooter game called BrainWave, released around 1995. I wrote it mainly because a friend kept begging me to make a Galaga-type game for Windows. I released it as shareware, doing only the most basic promotion for it, mostly uploading to some BBSes, AOL, Prodigy, and CompuServe. I think it made only two sales in its first month, but in its second month it was placed on a shareware compilation CD and made $900. It eventually settled down to only making about $100-200 per month, but it hasn''t been updated in years, and it still keeps bringing in about $100-200 per month -- it''s been doing that for seven years. Occasionally it has a really good month due to being placed on yet another compilation CD. I''ll eventually convert it to freeware and use it to promote our other games. The game took me only two weeks to write and had a budget of $0. I even did all the artwork myself. This simple project, which was originally intended as a test to see if shareware marketing works, has made me thousands of dollars and convinced me that shareware marketing works. This is a 16-bit Windows 3.1 game originally written with Borland C++ 4.5. The code is so old that I''d really like to kill it off, but the game just keeps selling.

Another game I wrote in 1996 (Cash Quest, which I sell as part of a 4-game collection) took me only 12 hours total to write, which I did in one long session. The other three games in the collection ranged from maybe 2-7 days each. This is another product that keeps bringing in passive income month after month.

The point is that you don''t have to risk months of hard work and hope for a big payoff. I think it''s better to start small, build a stable base of passive income, and gradually take on more ambitious projects. It''s a lot easier to complete a big project when you can work full-time on it and all your bills are being paid by your passive income from previous titles.

Better to risk a couple weeks or even just one weekend to create a simple game and get it out there than to spend over a year on a game that may or may not sell. It may only make $100 a month, but that''s an extra $1200 per year that you wouldn''t have otherwise. And to maintain an income stream like this takes very little time.

This approach takes tons of patience, but the end result is that you''ll eventually reach a point where you make more money every month from passive income than you would from working in the industry. And the nice thing about doing a simple two-week project is that you''re done in just six weeks. You can see the light at the end of the tunnel as soon as you start, so it keeps motivation high.

Steve Pavlina
Dexterity Software
www.dexterity.com
Steve''s the man! Time for some 12 hr coding sessions eh boys?
:D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement