🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Job as Game Developer

Started by
1 comment, last by Austrian Coder 22 years ago
Hallo Community! I have asked me several times, how a job in the dame buisnes must be? I think i is at the beginning very interesting and cool, but after 3 years is is a boring and monotonous job. And you dont earch as much money as a network-admin, who hasnt such a long working day. So why should people become a game developer? There are so many programmers in this buisnes, that a beginner have not so a good chance. And what i have heared it is a very long working day, sometimes until 00:00 am! So if the life of a game developer is like that, there is no space for social contacts, family, friends,.... Is this all correct what i have heared? thx, Austrian Coder
Advertisement
It all depends on where you work. There are lots of people on this board who work in the game industry doing normal hours, and on the other hand if you work as "Romero''s Bitch" you might be up till 2 in the morning in an office with no air conditioning.

As for reasoning, I''ve worked in networking and quite frankly I find it unbearable. Day after day of fixing problems created by idiots ("My printer won''t print, this computer must hate me!" "Is it turned on?" "Whats ''on'', why are you using all these technical terms?!?"). Game programming (or art or design or ...) gives you a chance to do something fun and challenging, something that makes it worth while to come in everyday.
Yeah I''m with you on that. I''m a part-time networker and attending college with my other half of the day. I hate being a networker but it does fund my company costs until I can get something out and fuel me to work hard so I don''t have to be a networker anymore =) What I think it all boils down to is the passion. If you want money than Game Development probably isn''t the route and I understand that. I just want to make games for a living. As long as I can provide for a family and still create games, i''ll be happy as a clam. I can''t see myself being happy doing anything else. So if you don''t think you''d just love making games all the time, I wouldn''t get into the industry. But I''m new to this so I could be wrong.

- Dustin Hubbard
Owner of Spooky Tornado Studio LLC.
www.spookytornado.com
Dustin Hubbard

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement