🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Shareware Turnover rates

Started by
4 comments, last by OBP 22 years ago
Just wondering about *actual* purchase and download rates for shareware games...yours or anyone elses - Especially solitaire collections. I''m hoping to get maybe around 2% when version 1.0 of my game is finished, but I would like to get a realistic picture of other peoples download and purchase rates sit now or sat at the start of game sales.
Advertisement
From what people have said here, it''s around 1%.
I would agree, I''ve seen people giving figures from 1:100 to as low as 1:250 for their download to purchase ratio.
It depends on how good the game is and how strong the registration incentives are. There''s no entitlement here, so a registration rate of 0.00% is entirely possible if your incentives are weak. 0.5 - 2.0% is fairly common for decent games, but some can see as high as 5%. In my experience games that see a higher conversion are those that people will specifically search for. Examples are solitaire, hearts, spades, chess, checkers, etc.

There''s a fairly long article about creating effective registration incentives for your demo here.

Steve Pavlina
Dexterity Software
www.dexterity.com
-- Steve PavlinaDexterity Softwarewww.dexterity.com"Boredom's Greatest Enemy"Free Shareware Success Articles | Indie Game Dev Forums
Thanks for the figures everybody. They''re pretty much what I imagined they would be. BTW, I never knew there was such a market for solitaire collections. I was browsing CNet downloads and I saw that SolSuite 2002 gets around 20000 downloads a week from downloads.com alone...If they''re getting say, a 1% turnover, that is 200 sales a week....holy crap.

Steve: Thanks for the link, but I''ve already read all of your articles
Im pretty sure the people that made that hacking simulation game actually got something like a 1:20 ratio of buy to download. That game rocked though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement