🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Business Virgin

Started by
22 comments, last by Rochnarand 21 years, 10 months ago
quote: Original post by McMcDonald
Hi!

Use a company like swreg.com or regnow.com or shareit.com and all the others to handle the credit card processing (and other forms of payment).

McMc

Yeah, when I read that you were going to have people send you a cheque (thats how we spell it!), I cried...ok not really.
Shareit are great, all these services take about +-50% of your charged fee, but I guess if you charge them $2.00 or something that shouldnt be a problem. Good luck.
TENZERO SOFTWARE

TRY OUT URL History, ediitng the IE address bar has never been this easy!

Advertisement
The best way to protect your game is to connect with a publisher who is large enough to pay for a lawsuit. Most game companies starting out without a lot of money to waste on lawsuits don''t promote their game until it is complete, and then spend time looking for a publisher. I am working with a small company right now, and we have decided to spend a few months looking for publishers AFTER we finish the product, not during the production, because a publisher usually wants to see a fully functional demo of the game. If your product isn''t of high enough quality that a mid sized (or larger) publisher won''t support it, you probably don''t need to worry about people stealing your ideas.
The best way to protect your game is to connect with a publisher who is large enough to pay for a lawsuit. Most game companies starting out without a lot of money to waste on lawsuits don''t promote their game until it is complete, and then spend time looking for a publisher. I am working with a small company right now, and we have decided to spend a few months looking for publishers AFTER we finish the product, not during the production, because a publisher usually wants to see a fully functional demo of the game. If your product isn''t of high enough quality that a mid sized (or larger) publisher won''t support it, you probably don''t need to worry about people stealing your ideas.
quote: Original post by Rochnarand
What I have found out is that your work is copyrighted as soon as it is in finished form.

It''s copyrighted when it is in any form, finished or not. Does that help answer your question?

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]
Yes!!!! (the big question anyway)

But I was under the impression that works were only protected once they were finished. Did I just make that up in my head?

----Steve
Happy Big FunWeeelll!!!President Bush is a bitchHe's a big fat bitchHe's the biggest bitch in the whole wide world
Yes, you did. After all, who defines what is finished? I see games getting patched for months after they are released... they''re obviously not really finished. Since ''finished'' is such a subjective concept, it doesn''t apply. Perhaps you were getting it confused with "published" which, in this context, merely means the act of putting it on paper/website/cd/whatever. As soon as it hits a medium, it''s protected.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]
Burning "real" CDs off of a CD-R master would cost $1199 for each 1000, I don''t know if those are real CDs or CD-Rs, count on them being real, I guess. This is from the back of the latest PC World. The manfacturer''s website is www.discsdirect.com

I''m sure you could find a better deal, though, and one that lets you buy less than 1000.
Member of the Unban nes8bit or the White Rhino in my Basement Gets Sold to the Highest Bidder Association (UNWRBGSHBA - Not accepting new members.)Member of the I'm Glad Mithrandir Finally Found an Association that Accepts People with his Past History Association (IGMFFAAPPHA)
quote: Original post by Rochnarand

As far as the company name, lets say I want to call our company "Mr. Farty Pants Games" (not the real name, feel free to take it ;p ) . All I want to do is to prevent some other company from calling their game company the same name. Do I need to do something to prevent this or is it automatically protected as soon as we announce it? Is filing DBA the same in California?

As far as doing things by credit card, hell I''m all for it. I just want to keep things as simple as possible.

As far as registering copyright, am I just being stupid paranoid by worrying about putting our game in the mail?

I am honestly not trying to make things any more complex than they have to be, but I know absolutely nothing about any of this and I don''t want to regret not doing something later on.

----Steve

Registering the DBA will do nothing to prevent anyone from using your company name in another county. At least that is the way that it is done in New York State. So, you might register "Fantsy Pants Software" in one county, and someone else can do the same thing in an adjacent county. If you Incorporate though, they do a full name search and there can only be one corporation in the US(it might be the state, but I''m pretty sure it covers the whole US) that has that same name, although smaller businesses may have that name as a registered DBA. Think about businesses like pizza shops. I have a company called Mike''s Pizzeria. Doesn''t that seem pretty common? It probably is. And I''m sure there are dozens of them registered across the US.

My advice would be to get the domain name you want, and then register a DBA as a Sole Proprietorship. Nobody wants to open a company for which the .com domain is already taken. If www.gamethoughts.com were taken, I''d have chosen a different name for my company.

I know you said that you have partners, but for tax purposes, I would recommend a sole proprietorship. Just get written agreements with everyone that profits shall be split, written responsibilities, etc. You should have that for a general partnership anyway. The reason I suggest this is that the difference between the tax filings for a sole proprietorship vs. a general partnership is no less than 10 pages. I''m not exaggerating. It''s only a one page form for a SP and it''s about 12 for a GP. Not to mention, if you have a knowledgeable CPA do your taxes at the end of the year, it can save you at least $200 in CPA fees, plus the additional money he''ll be able to get you through all of the business expenses.

Works are protected by copyright so long as you include the copyright notice with it. Registering it gives you additional protections, although I looked into it once and didn''t feel that some of it was worth it. My understanding (and I could be wrong here) is that you have to submit a copy of your source code. It then becomes public record. This is why most companies don''t submit all of their source code. They might submit all of the graphics, the dialogue scripts, etc. But I seriously doubt that companies like Microsoft submit their full source code of Windows, even though it is protected by copyright.

You can release a beta version, and it is protected. This is neglecting the point that if you say to someone you are releaseing something, and they see it and decide to make a clone of it, if you''ve been working on it for a year, how long is it going to take them to duplicate their efforts? Quite a while I think. Most of the time, you really just don''t need to worry about it. If the game becomes big enough that you do need to worry about it, you''ll have the money at that point to hire good lawyers to take care of the problem for you.

Looking for an honest video game publisher? Visit www.gamethoughts.com
Shameless plug: Game Thoughts
That sounds pretty complicated. I''d say it''s even chances if we make any money or not, and I would be shocked beyond belief if this game would generate enough money to pay the bills, even for a while. Would we be safe ignoring the legal stuff for now and worry about it if we ever make money? Or is safer to take care of this kind of thing now even if we don''t end up making a cent?

Having said that, our plans were just to mail CD''s we''ve burned with my partner''s pc. What if, dare I hope, the demand gets so high we can''t handle it?

As far as copyright I know you have to give copies of all the art, music, etc., plus the first 30 and last 30 (I think it''s 30, I''d have to check back to make sure) lines of code. But it seems a bit iffy sending all that through the mail. What say you, oh game developers who have actually done this?

Last, our next game will feature a character that I am especially proud of having created. It''s my understanding that characters like Mario, Zelda, and all the Poke''mon are trademarked. Why would they trademark these characters? What does trademarking offer that copyright can''t handle? And how much does it cost to trademark a character?

----Steve
Happy Big FunWeeelll!!!President Bush is a bitchHe's a big fat bitchHe's the biggest bitch in the whole wide world
I don't know if anyone else has put these links in, but you might want to spend an afternoon checking these out Rochnarand........

U.S. Copyright Office

U.S. Patent and Trademark Office

[edited by - Game Designer on August 18, 2002 12:36:23 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement