🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Business Virgin

Started by
22 comments, last by Rochnarand 21 years, 10 months ago
You don''t have to register a trademark in the US.
Advertisement
What I''ve read so far with trademarks is that you can use the TM without actually registering the trademark. But it doesn''t seem to be of any use, since it, by what I''ve read, that only by registering the mark do you have: "the ability to bring an action concerning the mark in federal court".

What I have not found is anything about the kind of trademarks done to protect cartoon and game characters. I found this on the Nintendo Website:

"Trademarks are the distinctive names, words, logos, designs and symbols used to distinguish a product of a particular manufacturer or source. Some of Nintendo''s most widely recognized trademarks include Nintendo®, Game Boy®, Super NES® and Super Mario Bros.®. The Nintendo® trademark has been filed in many countries throughout the world and registrations have been issued in Nintendo''s name in many countries."

I''m a bit confused as to what trademarks are for. I''ve got a cartoon character I''m really proud of having created. We are going to use him in a sidescroller, our next game. I want to do what is appropriate to protect it. So, what is appropriate?

----Steve
Happy Big FunWeeelll!!!President Bush is a bitchHe's a big fat bitchHe's the biggest bitch in the whole wide world
quote: Original post by McMcDonald
Hi!

Use a company like swreg.com or regnow.com or shareit.com and all the others to handle the credit card processing (and other forms of payment).

McMc

Take a look at all the available online reg services:
www.blackcatsystems.com/regservices/

regnow.com takes a big bite out of your profit (like 20 percent)
if you sell low-cost shareware games. There are better services that
only take 10 percent or less.

[edited by - jtech on August 19, 2002 1:24:43 AM]
If there is something that you want to protect so bad as to want to fight for it in court then I would suggest going the whole-nine-yards and get as many trademarks, register marks or copywrites as you deem necessary. Anything from ideas and products to company names and codes. Most of these endeavers are very complicated and require tremendous amounts of detailed information so choose wisely. Or go hire counsel...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement