🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

My book is finally available for pre-order!

Started by
31 comments, last by LostLogic 22 years, 12 months ago
There is an italian version of your book? It is published also in italy? Or i must to preorder only in your country?
Advertisement
The publisher has not informed me of an Italian translation, so I assume it is only available in English(US) at this time.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

I have been looking for reviews of this book, but haven't found anything too useful as of yet. I haven't seen it in any of the local sci-tech book stores either, so I haven't been able to skim through it myself.

Can anyone tell me how much or how little DirectPlay is covered? I don't want to buy a book that covers much specific to Microsoft, as my current project is multi-platform, and really has no use for DirectPlay. Also, are the sample games written using TCP or UDP? or a combination of both? Any help is much appreciated, as it will determine whether or not I buy the book...

Thanks in advance.

Edited by - fingh on July 2, 2001 7:22:04 PM
Could you upload the source codes of the book so we can check them as all the other book did.

Also a couple of section.

Thanks.
How good is the book for those of us who want to design cross-platform games. Will I be able to port windows socket examples from the book to linux with minimal change?
You can download the SpacePirates executable to see the peer-to-peer game example. It can be found at my website, www.lostlogic.com under the Book! section.

As far as cross-platform goes, the book covers sockets in a way that is cross-platform compatible (in fact, I used a library I wrote in UNIX.)

But... The main games in the book use DirectPlay. The architecture sections are API non-specific though, so you can use the general information regardless of your target OS.

If you are looking for a Linux based book though, this is not it.

Personally, I code for both UNIX and NT at my job and I have had no trouble moving from one to the other.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

I wanna see the source code, not the game. Most books let you see and download the source code.
Thanks for the response LostLogic.

I also program UNIX and M$ at work. In fact, most of the code I write is socket code over a variety of platforms. I''m just looking for a good reference that is geared toward games. I''ll order the book and check it out. I don''t have a DX8 reference either, so maybe there''s some other useful stuff that I can use in there as well.
Hey LostLogic,
Just wanted to let you know that I received your book this week and I have read just about half of the text and so far I am pleased with what I have read. I am looking forward to reading the rest and learning a lot! Thanks for writting the text, it definitely is a added tool to my collection!

Joe
Joseph L. JonesCEO, Jones Enterpriseswww.geocities.com/jones_enterprises2000
Hey LostLogic,
Just wanted to let you know that I received your book this week and I have read just about half of the text and so far I am pleased with what I have read. I am looking forward to reading the rest and learning a lot! Thanks for writting the text, it definitely is a added tool to my collection!

Joe

Joseph L. Jones
CEO, Jones Enterprises
www.geocities.com/jones_enterprises2000
Joseph L. JonesCEO, Jones Enterpriseswww.geocities.com/jones_enterprises2000

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement