🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

About LostLogic's book!

Started by
22 comments, last by leggyguy 22 years, 9 months ago
? I do have OpenGL Game Programming for starters.

And, I do not know enough about multiplayer game programming to know whether or not it works the same way with both API''s! So if I can just learn how to make multiplayer games with DX with Lost Logic''s book and turn it into OpenGL, I will be off to Barnes and Nobles in the next few weeks.

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Advertisement
Yes, I am considering writing an advanced multiplayer game programming book.

Currently I am writing Real Time Strategy Game Programming with DirectX 9 for Wordware. After that one, I may do an advanced book.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

Well, I would write an book for VB and Directplay, but I do not have the time, and it has too much responsibilities:
You''ve got a lots of questions on this board about you book, and probably tons more per email :/

But I would like to see an book available that is about Directplay and that can be considered "advanced", showing the real difficult things. Like certain optimization methods, or how to do proper cheat protection (see other thread), those are the really interesting things of multiplayer programming (IMHO)
www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
*GASP* An RTS book over multiplayer...my heart just sunk. But, gotta make the $$ anyway u can, so good luck, and start brainstormin for us multiplayer fans on new material when u get some time!
Lost Logic:

I intend on buying your book from amazon.com or bn.com in a few weeks, I was wondering, I know nothing at all about Direct X, and enough about OpenGL to make a 2D pong game, would I still be able to learn how to do multiplayer games with your book, even if I use OpenGL?

In truth I do not plan on giving up on OGL and using D3D, but I will use DInput, DSound, DPlay( or WinSoc ), and probably DShow and DSetup.

The main question: Will I benefit from purchasing your book?

"I've sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do'Urden

Edited by - Drizzt DoUrden on September 26, 2001 3:20:43 PM
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
After recently purchasing Todd''s book, and having read through most of it, I''m going to recommend it to anyone needing an introduction to network programming. I''ve been programming for two and a half years now, and I''ve worked on contract as a games programmer. In that time, I''ve never had a moment to consider learning network programming. Now I have, and Multiplayer Game Programming is an easy read. That''s a very good thing when you don''t have time to waste on things you *might* want to know. That''s what a reference book is for. Not a learning text.

Kudous to Todd. Good luck with your next book =)

"So little time, so much fun."
~Michael Sikora
This book actually answers about 90% of the questions most people have about networking solutions in multiplayer games. I''m only on chapter 4 so far, thanks to school work. My girlfriend and I are reading this together, and it''s explaining a LOT of things she never understood, and filling in gaps for me. I would deffinately like to see a more advanced version.
If you''re a good programmer (2-4 years experience) then the code explainations in chapter 4 and most likely through other parts of the book become a bit superfluous, bit you can easily read a sentance or two and say "i know this.." and move on to the next heading until you''ve hit something you don''t understand already.
Are there any things you''ve considered adding into the Advanced Multiplayer Game Programmering text as of yet? And is there any projected release date on the RTS book? Thanks.

J
If this book manages to answer 90% of the questions most people have about multiplayer games programming then there is obviously something wrong and people arn''t asking the right questions.

This book barely scratches the surface of multiplayer games programming and if it wasn''t for the fact that someone else was paying for the book I''d feel increadibly cheated by the fact Mr. Lostlogic pimped the book by sticking "MULTIPLAYER" in the title.

Like I have said perviously it is a GOOD general purpose games programming book for the BEGINNNER and as such I would HIGHLY recommend it, it covers all aspects of directX programming, input, sound, graphics, and directplay (winsock too). All in a very basic, well layedout introductory format.

But it is long way in my oppinion from what I would consider a MULTIPLAYER programming book.

If you hurry you can buy the book for 20 bucks cheaper on www.bn.com then from www.amazon.com

Barnes & Noble = 39.99
Amazon = 59.99

Just telling ya because I''m sure BN will raise it soon, just ordered mine now
- torquel
FVector4,

Considering that 12 of the 17 chapters are dedicated to network game development, I don''t think I am "pimping" the book incorrectly.

And no, the book is not meant to be an advanced guide to multiplayer game development. 95% of the hobbyist programmers out there have little knowledge of how to even begin with network code. The book is meant for them.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement