Auto-added ads or hijacking in posts?

Started by
2 comments, last by swiftcoder 7 years, 1 month ago

I've noticed a few of my posts have subtly added links inside them. I've double checked by hitting the edit button and the history buttons, the links are not there.

I'm not sure if it will happen here, but I've seen the word Amazon turn into a link, and the words steering wheel became a link to elsewhere. If those are now links, they shouldn't be, I didn't make the link.

It looks like when people quote the block of text it also includes the ads. Double checking that with this post.

Advertisement

I've asked Kevin about this before (on the chat); it's a feature, not a bug, apparently. Hovering the link should show you some indication that it was added by "SkimWords."

If you're seeing injected links that aren't from the SkimWords provider, that might be a concern, but SkimWords itself is by design. It's apparently vaguely geo-located so doesn't always show up for everybody. I see it on some threads but not others, and often on journal posts.

I do think the links should be visually distinguishable from actual links put in by humans; there's infrastructure in the CSS to facilitate that, it's just not been done yet I guess.

I'm not sure if it will happen here, but I've seen the word Amazon turn into a link, and the words steering wheel became a link to elsewhere. If those are now links, they shouldn't be, I didn't make the link.

Note how they were automatically linked even though I didn't write those links.
It looks like hitting the 'quote' button did not include the text links, they were shown as plain text. But if I copy the post like this I do see them as part of the copied text:

I see one over steering wheel if my mouse hovers over it for about two seconds.

I don't see one over Amazon no matter how long I hover over it.

I do think the links should be visually distinguishable from actual links put in by humans; there's infrastructure in the CSS to facilitate that, it's just not been done yet I guess.

+1.

I've accidentally clicked a few of these now, which doesn't benefit me or SkimWords (since I'm not buying anything on an accidentally-clicked link).

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement