Gamedev api?

Started by
4 comments, last by khawk 5 years, 2 months ago

Are there any plans to develop an API for this site? Most major places have it at this point. It would also allow for construction of a mobile app, which is painfully lacking at the moment.

You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here. -Alan Watts

Advertisement

Yes, there are plans for this that are part of a broader reboot.

An official mobile app has also been looked at, but temporarily shelved for other priorities.

Along those lines, if GameDev.net offered APIs, what would be of interest?

Admin for GameDev.net.

@khawk Going to back only having the latest post on a topic on the main page, none of this 10 repeats on the same thread would be fantastic!  Makes scrolling through to see new posts horrible on my phone.  Honestly I flat out refuse to look at the site on my phone anymore unless it's to view replies to threads or PMs.  Otherwise I will only view the site on my desktop.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

1 hour ago, khawk said:

Yes, there are plans for this that are part of a broader reboot.

An official mobile app has also been looked at, but temporarily shelved for other priorities.

Along those lines, if GameDev.net offered APIs, what would be of interest?

You mean particular functionality? Nothing out of the ordinary, something akin to reddit's api. Allow posting on user's behalf, allow deep queries, profile management. All the basics, but of course, the more functionality the better. 

You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here. -Alan Watts

1 minute ago, CrazyCdn said:

@khawk Going to back only having the latest post on a topic on the main page, none of this 10 repeats on the same thread would be fantastic!  Makes scrolling through to see new posts horrible on my phone.  Honestly I flat out refuse to look at the site on my phone anymore unless it's to view replies to threads or PMs.  Otherwise I will only view the site on my desktop.

On that particular item - latest topics on the front page - if you select the blue drop down that defaults to "Activity" and select "Forums", you'll see the latest topics. Same as going to the Forums tab on desktop.

Screenshot_20190222-193243.png

I know it's an extra step, but it will get the view you want for new posts/forum activity.

The "reboot" I referenced is a complete review of these types of things. I'm hoping to have more to share on this in the coming months, depending on progress.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement