🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

*******READ BEFORE POSTING!!!*******

Started by
58 comments, last by TheArtifex 18 years, 11 months ago
I guess there wouldn't be a way to have the template automagically appear when someone posts to that forum?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Kazgoroth
Well, mine was the post that met with an 'accident', and since I didn't save it and several of the points have been raised by others or added into the OP now, I'll simply summarise the contents rather than re-typing the whole thing:

My very public apologies about that post, it was human error [smile] The thread names and services ideas were Kazgorath's and I have taken them onboard. Many respects for being one of the outstanding members in this particular forum man!

Quote: Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
I guess there wouldn't be a way to have the template automagically appear when someone posts to that forum?

If this test period proves successful, then it would be nice to see. Down to the powers that be though *hint*hint*

Marc.

Marc. Help Wanted template | Game development isn't easy! | Indie interviews
Bloodlust is back! -Leave your morals and political correctness at the door.

Marc, I have a quick suggestion for you on this thread. I noticed when click on the "Help Wanted" forums that this thread does not really stick out to someone just now visiting the site asking for help. Already being here, I know the title "Start Here" is pretty self evident, but for someone just coming, it is very easy to over look. I would suggest making it something like:

"*********BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS FORUM*********"

or something that is more attention grabbing so people do not accidently overlook it.

- Drew
Reading through this thread, it has become apparent to me that the few suggestions I managed to come up with and sent to Marc were pretty bad [grin].

Just something else I thought of. Maybe the thread template should be presented like the one below, so that those who may not know the correct HTML formatting tags can still have it working properly. This way they can just copy and paste the entire thing.

<b> Thread title </b>
(Give basic info about what you need, no real need to make it too long with any game description)

<b> Team name: </b>
(Or if you are calling it a company, though be very careful to abide by the faq and not mislead anybody into thinking it's a registered company).

<b> Project name: </b>
(or working title)

<b> Brief description: </b>
(Here you put a brief overview of the project, including how long it has currently been in production for).

<b> Target aim: </b>
(Shareware/Freeware/retail/etc)

<b> Compensation: </b>
(Can you pay, or are you offering a percentage of potential revenue? Can you put it in writing for potential help?)

<b> Technology: </b>
(Target system, programming language and/or tools, Artist tools, Sound tools)

<b> Talent needed: </b>
(List the people you need, their expected tasks and any experience needed)

<b> Team structure: </b>
(The people who are currently in the team, how long they've been there, and most importantly what YOU do)

<b> Website: </b>
(Anything you have, even if it's a wip. Just make sure it is here as a clicky link!)

<b> Contacts: </b>
(Your email address/forum/etc...)

<b> Additional Info: </b>
(Anything else you want to say, snippets of the story/design, screenshots. AT LEAST SOMETHING!)
Quote: Original post by Drew_Benton
Marc, I have a quick suggestion for you on this thread. I noticed when click on the "Help Wanted" forums that this thread does not really stick out to someone just now visiting the site asking for help. Already being here, I know the title "Start Here" is pretty self evident, but for someone just coming, it is very easy to over look. I would suggest making it something like:

or something that is more attention grabbing so people do not accidently overlook it.

- Drew

I think a major motivation behind this little experiment is seeing who actually reads the rules before posting, and publicly flogging people who don't. ^___^

EDIT:

The following is a response from the moderator, found on the next page. I thought I should put it here, just to clarify his point:

Quote: Original post by mlambert
THERE IS NO PUBLIC FLOGGING!

It was a tongue-in-cheek statement from TheArtifex which I set straight anyway because I knew someone would eventually take it the wrong way.

...I don't even want one person getting the wrong idea...

...I just want to make it as clear as possible.

THERE IS NO PUBLIC FLOGGING!

Seems I'm always stirring up some sort of riot, eh?

[Edited by - TheArtifex on April 4, 2005 2:43:00 AM]
Not that I post all that often for help, but I do have a concern.

I appreciate what you are trying to do but one of the biggest problems in this area is that many or most teams fail after an energetic but awkward beginning; to me 'help wanted' posts are the only real way to see if a team has, one: thought through their game and two: has the required professionalism and leadership nessecary for production in the indie field. Being someone that cannot nessecarily create or lead their own game I tend to scout posts on the forum that meet these qualifications. In my opinion creating a tablet will not clean the boggled mess of a forum but make it uniformed, where'in it becomes harder (in an already extremely hard field) to discern the gold from the crap - to figure out who is a professional and who is just a bored child on spring break.

While I do like the idea of some standardization it is my opinion that it subtracts from our ability to actively create, identify and experiment with this forum as a tool for our gaming production needs; as well as gives others without the talent, time or dedication the ability to pose as if they had it.

I'm sure that there will still be posts that are good and posts that are bad, however part of my concern also lays with a posts ability to shine and thereforth the teams ability to really set itself apart.

Quote: Original post by Drew_Benton

- Drew

Good idea, I've changed to to be more attention grabbing [smile]

Quote: Original post by boolean
Just something else I thought of. Maybe the thread template should be presented like the one below, so that those who may not know the correct HTML formatting tags can still have it working properly. This way they can just copy and paste the entire thing.

See, you do have some good ideas! Well, every now and then anyway [wink]

Quote: Original post by TheArtifex
I think a major motivation behind this little experiment is seeing who actually reads the rules before posting, and publicly flogging people who don't. ^___^

Haha, I can honestly say definately not! I delete my post when the OP is changed (I've done about three so far) and it costs me time when I have to ask! This is about structuring the forum better, while retaining the community (and perhaps stopping it from becoming a listing-only page), no hidden agendas I'm afraid [smile]

Quote: Original post by slowpid
Not that I post all that often for help, but I do have a concern.

I appreciate what you are trying to do but one of the biggest problems in this area is that many or most teams fail after an energetic but awkward beginning; to me 'help wanted' posts are the only real way to see if a team has, one: thought through their game and two: has the required professionalism and leadership nessecary for production in the indie field. Being someone that cannot nessecarily create or lead their own game I tend to scout posts on the forum that meet these qualifications. In my opinion creating a tablet will not clean the boggled mess of a forum but make it uniformed, where'in it becomes harder (in an already extremely hard field) to discern the gold from the crap - to figure out who is a professional and who is just a bored child on spring break.

While I do like the idea of some standardization it is my opinion that it subtracts from our ability to actively create, identify and experiment with this forum as a tool for our gaming production needs; as well as gives others without the talent, time or dedication the ability to pose as if they had it.

I'm sure that there will still be posts that are good and posts that are bad, however part of my concern also lays with a posts ability to shine and thereforth the teams ability to really set itself apart.

That's a very good point.

However, in my opinion, a bad post is a bad post and people will soon spot one and start posting there. I actually think this method will make it easier to spot, because some of the fields will be quite tricky to fill in for people who are trying to blag things or haven't thought things through, take the Technology field for instance...The second someone posts something that doesn't seem to be that well planned, they are going to get questioned.

Also, the posts that make an effort to stand out are the ones you want anyway! Remember, I'm saying follow the basic format but work with it as much as you like...post thumbnails, use snippets of story/design to attract attention, give thoughts and ideas on the future direction...etc.

I will keep an eye on it though, you have definately made me think about that side of things and I will try to catch and help more of these types of posts as I see them.

Quote: Original post by mlambert
Quote: Original post by TheArtifex

Haha, I can honestly say definately not! I delete my post when the OP is changed (I've done about three so far) and it costs me time when I have to ask! This is about structuring the forum better, while retaining the community (and perhaps stopping it from becoming a listing-only page), no hidden agendas I'm afraid [smile]

Aww... but conspiracy is so much fun!

In seriousness, though, I'm actually very surprised with how well this system is working. Brilliant move on your part, man.
Indeed. Kudos on how well it's going thus far, hopefully it will keep working as well, and perhaps even get improved further over time. [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement