🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

*******READ BEFORE POSTING!!!*******

Started by
58 comments, last by TheArtifex 18 years, 11 months ago
Well I have to admit that I rewrote my post and since mlambert just quoted my original thread, i just pasted that into the "additional information" section. The thing is, my thread didn't need any of the other stuff apart from contact details - and to follow the template I would just have to fill in everything as n/a if the rest was information I was unwilling to disclose, which is a waste of time and space.

If I follow artifex's shortened template - then that is pretty much exactly how my original deleted thread was, merely without headings...

So, we do not have to strictly follow this template then? Would splitting our thread into headings "count" as a legitimate post?
Advertisement
Artifex didn't shorten the template at all, it has all the same fields except for 'brief description', which is replaced with 'phase of completion'. In addition, he added in 'long term goals' and 'motives', so his version is actually longer.

Quote: Original post by Golar
I would just have to fill in everything as n/a if the rest was information I was unwilling to disclose, which is a waste of time and space.

What information from that list could you possibly have a good reason not to disclose? The only field I can remotely concieve of this applying to would perhaps be 'technology', in the rare case that you were developing for some kind of new hardware, or a proprietary system, which would be quite a rare thing to see.

So, we do not have to strictly follow this template then?

THIS WILL BE MANDATORY, if you do not follow this format you will be told in your thread. Failure to change the thread to suit (remember you can edit the original post!) after a period of 24hrs will result in the thread being removed.
These are requirements for now. You can be creative with what's there in terms of the order, but the "Additional info" section should be further down (for reasons following) and everything should be included.
You should follow everything that's there, but you are open to be creative within the guidlines.

Seems simple enough to me.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote: Original post by mlambert
You should follow everything that's there, but you are open to be creative within the guidlines. As everything I've answered above says.
Hey golar,

I did try to explain this as thoroughly as I can in my response PM, but obviously you still have concerns.

Unfortunately, I really can't see what your point is, surely when you think about it wouldn't the fact that you are filling in a standard form help you out?

I mean so much gets posted here that sometimes a gem gets lost. Surely if people know the part they are primarily looking for, they can see this in any post that uses the template? Not to mention the shear fact that all those questions that get asked time and time and time again, now get answered before they are asked. You'll be surprised at the shear weight of mails/pm I used to get about responses and questions people don't like, now that has cut drastically.

On the subject on your post, I asked you to change it, you were given >24hrs (more like 38) and yet it didn't happen. When you sent me a PM, I not only replied in detail, I dug up your message and sent the text to you to minimise your inconvenience. Please remember that this isn't because I'm supposed to, it's because I've taken the time to. I ask no thanks, I only ask that you read the words I took the time to write and at least try to understand the reasoning behind them. It seems you've missed the point of both the system and my replies to all questions in this thread.

Thank you for your comments, I can assure you they have been noted and will be part of the final decision on this forum.

Marc. Help Wanted template | Game development isn't easy! | Indie interviews
Bloodlust is back! -Leave your morals and political correctness at the door.

I do thank you for responding to my PM, and I have read through this thread.

However, my sole point is that this should not be FORCED upon people, but merely given them to advise if their posting format is not generating the attention that otherwise it might do.

Perhaps as a further experimentation, you could post two threads for the same job opening and see which one gets the most attention?
Cross platform game development.

Mercury Hypermedia (unregistered)

Game Title: Cosmos

I have a concept for a series of new and totally original game titles. Looking to build a team in the Northern VA, DC, MD area to move project forward.

Target aim: Retail

Compensation: Partnership in Mercury Hypermedia.

Technology: Cross all game consoles, including Phantom, PC and MAC.

Talent needed: One brilliant person with broad knowledge of industry and specific knowledge of programming. Must be capable of executing straight forward programming for at least one platform listed above.

Team structure: Looking for equal partner.

Contacts: smj@mercuryhypermedia.com

Additional Info: Cannot give additional info here. Candidates MUST be willing to sign NDA. Its like this...these titles will be a significant advance in the way people related to the media, but it is such a simple concept that once you hear it, you'll kick yourself for not thinking of it first. What I am looking for is a PARTNER. A compatible equal, filled with passion, and ready to GO.
Quote: Original post by SMJ

I think you want to post a new thread rather than replying...

- Jason Astle-Adams

I made a post with all the information listed in the template, but they aren't labeled "Project Name", etc. Rather they are either bolded, a link, or in the first paragraph, is this OK?
www.neoshockmod.net - An HL2 Modification
To tell everyone the truth, I agree with the point that it subtracts from a teams ability to be creative and eye-catching.. I am 100% against this "template" becoming a standard rule. I agree it's good for a guideline to new users, but I absolutely HATE it. I have been on GameDev for quite a while, and I have learned from my mistakes, and so I have learned how to post correctly in a way to catch peoples attention.
I didn't bother reading through the whole thread, but I ask you this, can we please NOT be forced to use this? As you can see in my latest post, http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=322450

I am fully capable to create an organized, clean, and reader-friendly Help Wanted post. My concern is that this will turn everything into a dictatorship, atleast in the eyes of the older users. All I ask is to please refrain from forcing people to use this template?

Edit: Just realized this thread is about a month old.

-Nick
http://www.technation.000k.net/ = Under Construction
erm, sorry..
random question:
why do ppl reply with "bump" ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement