🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

*******READ BEFORE POSTING!!!*******

Started by
58 comments, last by TheArtifex 18 years, 11 months ago
This idea is probably moronic, but wouldn't it be interesting if the help wanted forum had one extra posting icon than the rest of the forums. Then, the people who use the template can use that post icon to basically advertise 'this thread is using the template'. (or have at the end of the template ‘when posting, it is advised that you use the post icon to let others know you are using the correct formatting’)
Advertisement
That sounds like a great idea to me Boolean. I mean I think the Help Wanted posts should be a little different than everything else on GD for reasons that you've stated. Would be quite interesting indeed. Granted when I will eventually need to post here, want it as easy as pie [wink]
Quote: Original post by TheArtifex
Quote: Original post by Drew_Benton
Marc, I have a quick suggestion for you on this thread. I noticed when click on the "Help Wanted" forums that this thread does not really stick out to someone just now visiting the site asking for help. Already being here, I know the title "Start Here" is pretty self evident, but for someone just coming, it is very easy to over look. I would suggest making it something like:

"*********BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS FORUM*********"

or something that is more attention grabbing so people do not accidently overlook it.

- Drew

I think a major motivation behind this little experiment is seeing who actually reads the rules before posting, and publicly flogging people who don't. ^___^

thats just unfair. how many times have you read all the rules to all the forums?
Quote: Original post by Genjix
thats just unfair. how many times have you read all the rules to all the forums?

Once for each particular forum - that's what they're there for, and I'd say it's far more unfair of you to suggest that people shouldn't save the moderators constant hours of correcting threads and enforcing rules by simply reading a page (which in the case of GDNet almost always contains useful information as well as rules) and a few threads.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote: Original post by TheArtifex
Quote: Original post by Drew_Benton
Marc, I have a quick suggestion for you on this thread. I noticed when click on the "Help Wanted" forums that this thread does not really stick out to someone just now visiting the site asking for help. Already being here, I know the title "Start Here" is pretty self evident, but for someone just coming, it is very easy to over look. I would suggest making it something like:

"*********BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS FORUM*********"

or something that is more attention grabbing so people do not accidently overlook it.

- Drew

I think a major motivation behind this little experiment is seeing who actually reads the rules before posting, and publicly flogging people who don't. ^___^

When I first read this comment, I was pretty pissed off. Now I'll just respond gracefully.

It's more unfair of you to not read and follow either the rules or this thread. You know what's unfair? The effort going in to making this work, only for people to get on their soapbox and vent without even reading the thread you are posting in.

For your benefit, I'll quote myself responding to TheArtifex:

Quote: Original post by mlambert
Haha, I can honestly say definately not! I delete my post when the OP is changed (I've done about three so far) and it costs me time when I have to ask! This is about structuring the forum better, while retaining the community (and perhaps stopping it from becoming a listing-only page), no hidden agendas I'm afraid [smile]

Please read things more carfully in the future. Thanks for taking an interest though, I'd be happy to listen if you have further comments.

Marc. Help Wanted template | Game development isn't easy! | Indie interviews
Bloodlust is back! -Leave your morals and political correctness at the door.

my point is, 'publicly flogging' people because they didn't read the forum rules seems a bit OTT. not everyone is as dedicated to GDNet as I or you. Some people post across multiple forums/want a bit of help with their project.

Also about saving the moderators time. Thats a good thing, but if they can't handle it why are they moderating? Maybe some more moderators should be needed to lighten the load.

I'm leaning more towards being more forgiving than straight ban, eventhough it might at the end of the day cause everyone more hassle every once in a while
can you put together an HTML form so that people can just fill in the details and then the form will generate the html and put it in the forums, sort of like what is allready here, only more elaborate.
"Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?" - Chancellor Palpatine
my point is, 'publicly flogging' people because they didn't read the forum rules seems a bit OTT. not everyone is as dedicated to GDNet as I or you. Some people post across multiple forums/want a bit of help with their project.

Also about saving the moderators time. Thats a good thing, but if they can't handle it why are they moderating? Maybe some more moderators should be needed to lighten the load.

I'm leaning more towards being more forgiving than straight ban, eventhough it might at the end of the day cause everyone more hassle every once in a while

What the hell are you talking about??? Did you not read my quote of my original response???

THERE IS NO PUBLIC FLOGGING! I take the time to ask politely for the post to be changed and when it is, I delete my request. It's happened so many times already now and most of the times no-one else even sees my post. What you are talking about with banning, I don't know. Do you think we ban people for not posting the template or something? If so I can assure you we don't.

On the subject of mod's time, I think you are being very close-minded. I put in crap loads of time here already, all I ask is that people help me to raise the status and productivity of this forum by reading the rules and sticking to them. If someone can't stick to those rules, I further ask and point them here or to the faq. After that I start taking stronger measures, yes, but how many times do you expect me to try before I have to stop being so polite? If you mail any other mod or member of staff I know the response you will get is something along the lines of "It's a private forum, not public. Technically we can and sometimes should take action without warning". I don't ask for thanks and although I get a lot of it, I'm satisfied just knowing that somewhere along the line someone may get help here.

Please, I ask again, go back and read the thread especially what I say about the whole 'flogging' thing. It was a tongue-in-cheek statement from TheArtifex which I set straight anyway because I knew someone would eventually take it the wrong way. Frankly, the only reason I'm bothering to respond now is simply because I don't even want one person getting the wrong idea and if I have to personally respond to every single little mis-read criticism, then I damn well will. I hope you don't take this all the wrong way, I just want to make it as clear as possible.

I thank you again, and if you have further questions/worries then I will always respond.

Marc. Help Wanted template | Game development isn't easy! | Indie interviews
Bloodlust is back! -Leave your morals and political correctness at the door.

I'd like to suggest that this thread be linked as an excellent example of posting within the guidelines of the format creatively and in such a way as to make the post really stand out (perhaps with a note that it's an active thread, not just an example).

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote: Original post by Kazgoroth
I'd like to suggest that this thread be linked as an excellent example of posting within the guidelines of the format creatively and in such a way as to make the post really stand out (perhaps with a note that it's an active thread, not just an example).

I second that notion [smile] Kazgoroth actually beat me to making that suggestion [wink]. How about this Marc, perhaps we could all contribute a few templates that people could use. Just something quick and easy people could use to have a variety to choose from, to add some 'spice' to reading these forums.

Simply link to various text files that contain the proper code that all they would have to do is add their content and then they can just paste it over into the thread? Then perhaps you could make a topic to which you could lock and unlock w/ sticky to preview the various templates as well as download them.

For example: Red, White, Blue template
Quick Preview:

Thread Title:

Text Here

Team name:

Text Here

Project name:

Text Here

Just an idea though [smile] Some templates might make things a little annoying, but at least it'll beat looking at all the white/bold text in longer posts.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement